If you could change ten things about SP, what would they be?

Re: If you could change ten things about SP, what would they

Postby Squeely » November 18th, 2016, 8:21 am

1. Make the Outsiders unrelated to Scar. It would be just as interesting if they were another pride, perhaps a ruthless one that wants to take over Pride Rock. Their king could be the father of all three cubs; the film could open with him dying in a battle unrelated to the Pridelands, naming Kovu as his heir over the runt-y Nuka. Perhaps even make Nuka the same age as Vitani and Kovu, as was probably originally planned. The Outsiders had settled in the Outlands before their king passed away, and they remain there in hopes of fulfilling his wish to take over Pride Rock. This sets the stage for a lot of the same stuff we got in SP, but also clears up all the issues that come with connecting the Outsiders to Scar.

2. Scenes in which the Outsiders and the hyenas are at each others' throats, ultimately leading to the Outsiders driving the hyenas away. Gives Shenzi, Banzai, and Ed a little screentime.

3. Have Timon and Pumbaa in it a tad less, and give them far better jokes. I will say that I like the rhino chase scene, so I think that should be kept, albeit without the cartoony proportions the animals sometimes take on. Also, don't have them cartoonishly sob or bicker like an elderly couple. They never did that in the first film.

4. Better soundtrack. This mostly has to do with the score, since while it's fine, it's a far cry from what Zimmer and Lebo crafted. Bring those two back. Bring Elton John, Tim Rice, and Alan Menkin in to collaborate on songs. Menkin is a phenomenal Disney song writer and could offer a fresh perspective for the TLK franchise while John and Rice continue to be great. Oh and Joss Whedon proved his chops on My Lullaby, so he can at least draft the villain song, if not handle writing it completely. Nix Upendi as while I like the song, it just feels a bit too random and not all that necessary in the film itself.

5. Bring back most, if not all, of the writers from the first film. SP's writing is decent, but weak in places. Having a lot of the original crew would help keep it up to par, and their vision for how SP should be would improve it.

6. Big budget and theatrical release. Yes please.

7. Nala and Sarabi should have far bigger roles. Nala could bond with Kiara by teaching her how to hunt, Sarabi could impart her wisdom as an outstanding queen onto Kiara. An emotionally gripping scene where Sarabi passes away could work well, ala Mufasa's passing from the first.

8. Vitani should also have a bigger role. Having her show more doubts about their mother's plan would be a great way to build character for her.

9. Zazu also needs more to do.

10. I agree, Rafiki communicating with Mufasa through wind isn't something that should be there (otherwise Mufasa could have told Rafiki that Simba was alive sooner). Rafiki himself can draw the conclusion that uniting the prides is the right thing to do, and this can only be achieved through matching Kovu and Kiara.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Previous

Return to The Lion King II: Simba's Pride