Why didn't Simba know of Kovu?

Why didn't Simba know of Kovu?

Postby AnonLion » June 19th, 2017, 2:09 pm

I just realized there's a bit of Zira and Simba's conversation that doesn't seem to make sense to me. It seems as if it is the first time Simba meets Kovu because of Zira's line:

"Haven't you met my son, Kovu? He was hand chosen by Scar to follow in his pawprints and become king."

And Simba seems visibly angry, but why wouldn't he when there was right in front of him some random cub that Scar chose to be king? Because of his reaction it's easy to tell that it is indeed the first time he's ever met and heard of Kovu. But then Zira mentions something that doesn't sound right:

"Kovu was the last born before YOU exiled us to the Outlands."

If Kovu was born BEFORE being exiled to the Outlands, that means he was born in the Pridelands, and Kovu lived in the Pridelands when Zira was still part of Simba's pride. So if that's the case why didn't Simba know of Kovu? You'd think he'd at least be aware of Scar's former mate having another cub no?

I just thought it was a little odd. What do you guys think?
Simba and Nala give me life

I also just began writing TLK fanfiction !
AnonLion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 8

Re: Why didn't Simba know of Kovu?

Postby Elton John » June 19th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Plothole. The movie is loaded with them. I like the movie but it's faaaar from perfect.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby TheLionPrince » June 20th, 2017, 5:30 am

Perhaps, it was the first time that Simba had truly known of Kovu. As with practically everything concerning the background details of Zira and the Outsiders, it is left unexplained and any possible answer is based on inference and theories from the given text of the film. However, I don't consider Simba not knowing of Kovu to be a plot hole.

Kovu was the last born Outsider in the Pride Lands, but his age at the time of Zira and the Outsiders' exile is never specified. So, I naturally assume Kovu was just an infant cub. Simba may have seen Kovu (as he would be transported via Zira's mouth since he was not old enough to walk on his own), but he was never told by anyone that he was Scar's chosen successor.

All of this depends on if Scar made it known to the pride that he had chosen an heir to his throne. If he did tell them, the pride would have known, but since Simba had returned and exiled the Outsiders shortly after, it didn't matter anymore...at least to them. If he didn't, then not only Simba, but his entire pride never knew.

[quote="AnonLion"]If Kovu was born BEFORE being exiled to the Outlands, that means he was born in the Pridelands, and Kovu lived in the Pridelands when Zira was still part of Simba's pride. So if that's the case why didn't Simba know of Kovu? You'd think he'd at least be aware of Scar's former mate having another cub no?

I just thought it was a little odd. What do you guys think?[/quote]

Zira is not Scar's (former) mate. The director, Darrell Rooney, stated that Zira's lineage was "obscured to make her just a follower".
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Squeely » July 2nd, 2017, 11:40 pm

I agree it's very confusing. Perhaps the Outsiders kept Kovu a secret somehow? Maybe after how scary Scar was, the lionesses were afraid Simba might kill an innocent infant. We know he wouldn't, but they barely knew him at that point.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby SimbasGuard » July 4th, 2017, 6:46 am

Since this is the Lion King 2 section I will assume that we are supposed to ignore any info given to us by The Lion Guard, As Lion King 2 came 17 years prior.

[quote="TheLionPrince"]Kovu was the last born Outsider in the Pride Lands, but his age at the time of Zira and the Outsiders' exile is never specified. So, I naturally assume Kovu was just an infant cub. Simba may have seen Kovu (as he would be transported via Zira's mouth since he was not old enough to walk on his own), but he was never told by anyone that he was Scar's chosen successor.[/quote]

Agreed That was Simba's introduction to Kovu. Zira made that introduction as anything but veiled threat on Simba's life and his Kingdom.
Last edited by SimbasGuard on February 7th, 2019, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Kina » July 27th, 2017, 3:23 am

[quote="SimbasGuard"]Since this is the Lion King 2 section I will assume that we are supposed to ignore any info given to us by The Lion Guard, As Lion King 2 came 17 years prior.

[quote="TheLionPrince"]Kovu was the last born Outsider in the Pride Lands, but his age at the time of Zira and the Outsiders' exile is never specified. So, I naturally assume Kovu was just an infant cub. Simba may have seen Kovu (as he would be transported via Zira's mouth since he was not old enough to walk on his own), but he was never told by anyone that he was Scar's chosen successor.[/quote]

Agreed That was Simba's introduction to Kovu. Zira made that introduction a anything but veiled threat on Simba's life and his Kingdom.[/quote]

I'm personally in agreement with these statements. Zira is brazen, but not an idiot - she had the sense to wait to bolster her renegade pride before lashing out, so why not withhold information on her young (possibly stolen) cub if she put him on the pedestal as Scar's heir?
Kina

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Kina, lioness of the dusk.

Nickname(s): Moonlight
Pride Points: 9

Return to The Lion King II: Simba's Pride