which do you prefer?

Timon & Pumbaa (series)
20%
The Lion King 1 1/2
80%

Total votes : 30

Re: This or Timon and Pumbaa series?

Postby FlipMode » January 3rd, 2014, 6:49 pm

TLK 3 is the lesser of the two evils. Although didn't the series come out before the film actually? That would mean that the series was there to shift the focus onto Timon and Pumbaa, making them the mascots of the series as it were before giving them their own film to star in.
To use a more recent example, Despicable Me; at first the minions were just kind of there in the first film but it wasn't until the public started really getting fond of them which was done by marketing the franchise as if they were the entire point of it all along. It's the kind of thing that you put in the film just for comical relief and such but then people start really digging those characters so the film company's eyes suddenly turn into giant $ signs and they market the heck out of those characters. The film therefore is as much of a "cash in" as the series in my opinion. Aren't the minions also getting their own film now?

But cash ins CAN be good too, and honestly I thought TLK 3 was... Well I mean it was okay, they could have done quite a lot worse than that I reckon, it does the job for what they wanted to do with it. The series on the other hand other than having some nostalgic charm to it for me, doesn't really do a lot else. And their plan to cash in on Timon and Pumbaa didn't really work too well because the series has too many other great characters for that to really work.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby juhouh » January 3rd, 2014, 6:51 pm

Timon and Pumbaa series. I haven't seen TLK 1½ and won't be watching. Characters looks horrible in it and I'm not that interested about Timon's story...
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby Zonofon » January 3rd, 2014, 8:09 pm

[quote="Flip_FTW"]But cash ins CAN be good too, and honestly I thought TLK 3 was...[/quote]

Honestly speaking , all movies are created to make money. Maybe director ,artists and other acting solely because of art, but the producer and other acts because of the benefit (of course there are exceptions ) . But do not think that I do not believe that art can be unselfish and pursue lofty goals. Only when in the art appears big business, it works for the benefit (to some extent) exploiting people who create art (even paying them a big salary). I believe that it is not very good, but it's not about that. TLK 1 also, to some extent, created for profit.

And with regards to the TLK 3 , I think it's very difficult to come up with a new idea . So very often people use old ideas bit changing them. But in TLK 3 have a new idea - Timon shown without Pumbaa .After all, the film begins with the story exclusively about Timon . And story of Pumbaa was not shown. It's difficult - to overcome the stereotypes, but this movie overcame stereotype, that Timon is not interesting without Pumbaa and is only comic character.

[quote="juhouh"]I haven't seen TLK 1½ and won't be watching. Characters looks horrible in it and I'm not that interested about Timon's story...[/quote]

I believe that to see something new is always interesting . Maybe this something new might not like , but how else find out what really you like? I'm not speaking about something crime or bad, of course.
Some time ago, I never imagined that I would have liked TLK 3 . I'm not a fan of animation , I'm interested in completely another movies, but as a child I watching T & P show. But recently one day I accidentally remembered about Timon and decided to see his movie ( TLK 3). I liked this film (if not more) . Then I decided to see TLK 1 and TLK 2 . I liked them less , but I do not regret that I looked them.
Zonofon

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Postby FlipMode » January 7th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Yeah it's made to make money, it is their job. But I think that the closer you can stay to the original vision, the better. I mean, there's a line somewhere and sometimes it's obvious they've been lazy and are just milking the franchise name. Not that TLK 3 did that, which is why I think it's an okay film but the TV series seemed that way to me.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby MooLion » January 9th, 2014, 6:09 pm

I always rather felt, well T & P already had the cartoon series, so why also make them the main characters in a whole new film? The series wasn't great, nor was the film (it's main fault being it's quite forgettable), and yet the film is better because of the effort put in, as you'd expect of a film over a cartoon series that has to span many episodes.
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby juhouh » January 10th, 2014, 7:21 pm

[quote="Zonofon"]Maybe this something new might not like , but how else find out what really you like?[/quote]
Sometimes I just think that T&P doesn't fit that well to TLK at all... I like their own TV series over all, used to watch like 70% of the episodes as a kid. I just prefer to see them to outsmart Quint and Smolder rather than running away from lionesses and hyenas all the time. Loved the episode where they tried to stop Quint from attacking to Pride Rock :lol:

But everyone have their own personal option :D
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby Timon the great » January 20th, 2014, 7:42 am

Since I'm probably the only 1 out of maybe 2 or 3 on this TLK forum who knows this film inside-out, let's all, keep in mind that this TLK movie Does have meaning to it.

I will continue to state on here that this movie isn't just meant to be funny just because it's about a commonly viewed comic relief character or one that is, in the original film or sequel.

On the contrary, what the creators did with Timon in this film is something I very honestly would never have thought they would ever do. But that's the beauty of it. They even went to the point of showing Timon having exceptional bravery, risking his life for others.

One of the main reasons I can clearly see from this TLK film is that the creators wanted to give Timon a much deeper understanding of who he really is at heart, and it's not really about "Timon and Pumbaa". TLK 1 didn't and couldn't have done this for Timon, because that one was focused on Simba.

[quote="Flip_FTW"]Yeah it's made to make money, it is their job. But I think that the closer you can stay to the original vision, the better. I mean, there's a line somewhere and sometimes it's obvious they've been lazy and are just milking the franchise name. Not that TLK 3 did that, which is why I think it's an okay film but the TV series seemed that way to me.[/quote]
True. Money is a goal that studios go about on their films. But that should never be the main reason why they made it. Films that make less money than other films, sometimes, end up being the ones that are truly better.

I look for movies/characters that are truly worth seeing if they have anything praiseworthy to value in my own life from them. Especially and most importantly, the characters themselves. To see that the creators actually put care into bringing them about, tells me that they didn't label them "just for the money".

[quote="juhouh"]Timon and Pumbaa series. I haven't seen TLK 1½ and won't be watching. Characters looks horrible in it and I'm not that interested about Timon's story...[/quote]
I strongly recommend giving this TLK film at least one chance to prove itself to you, regardless of it being centered on Timon. How can you say that it looks horrible when you haven't watched the film at least once, yet?

It truly isn't bad and to be very honest, I use to think the same way you are right now, around the time it was released. I thought however, it wasn't going to be good because I thought it was going to be just about Timon and Pumbaa and them just joking around and such.

But when I actually saw some of it after a year and a half after it was released, it went beyond my expectations and it went even more so when I saw all of it for the first time (since I came back to TLK in 2012).
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

Postby EdtheHyena » February 21st, 2014, 6:33 pm

Well, it looks like this is winning by a landslide. Guess there won't be as much celebration when the series turns 20 on 9/8/15.

Really, it doesn't matter to me, though. ;)

"Don't lose you're way...with each passing day...you've come so far, don't throw it away."
EdtheHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Eddie
Pride Points: 3

Postby Carl » February 24th, 2014, 6:13 am

TLK 1.5/3 is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than the series. I saw some episodes as a kid and some more recently, and to put it bluntly, they were bad. They sucked. Whereas TLK 1.5 was actually likable. There wasn't anything good about the series except that it was related to the TLK franchise--while the movie on the other hand, had real emotion (Timon and Ma; Timon and Pumbaa; Timon, Pumbaa, and Simba; etc.), it had some good jokes, catchy musicals, a fun new take on a classic film, and much better animation; off the top of my head. It's just vastly superior on so many levels.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Wilfre » March 4th, 2014, 5:01 am

TLK 1.5 because it connected more to the movie. I love T&P though.
thanks for the sig, Julie Skywalker!

~*Collector of TLK Merchandise for over 15 years*~

| flavors | lastfm | youtube | deviantart | collectors quest | pandora | tumblr | google+ | furaffinity | weasyl | nabyn |
Wilfre
#Serious TLK collector#

icon by Book-of-Life on deviantART!

Nickname(s): Nanuq (my real name)
Pride Points: 0

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King 1½