Aaron Blaise

Aaron Blaise

Postby Iberian » July 18th, 2015, 1:05 am

Last edited by Iberian on October 10th, 2016, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iberian

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

Re: Aaron Blaise

Postby Iberian » July 26th, 2015, 3:02 am

----------------------------------
Last edited by Iberian on October 10th, 2016, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iberian

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Milla » July 28th, 2015, 2:19 pm

oh, Aaron Blaise! his art is so amazing, I love his lessons, he also has a DA page ;)

DeviantArt: http://ablaise.deviantart.com/

his style is so amazing, and his new season of lessons on Big Cats! I'm glad he did it, I want to learn how to animate lions (I might do a TLK animation??? who knows :P )

Thanks for posting the links here! they are very useful!
~HAKUNA MATATA~ ~HAKUNA MATATA~ ~HAKUNA MATATA~
Milla
Simba-saurus

Nickname(s): Muna
Pride Points: 16

Postby Iberian » July 29th, 2015, 9:51 pm

Last edited by Iberian on October 10th, 2016, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iberian

Postby Milla » July 30th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Cool! I have always wanted to build a light box, but just didn't know how :P
TLK style is easy to draw as you said, you just need alot of guide lines. They tend to complicate animation with weight and shadow and blah blah blah, it's easy to understand it, you just need to draw it again and again.
woo, CAL ARTs you will have a hard time there if you really went. I'm still teaching myself animation from youtube tutorials or just watching a Disney animator drawing a scene in a (making of)

For me, the greatest Disney artists are Glen Keane, Aaron Blaise, and Andreas Deja. I wish I could draw as good as them...
~HAKUNA MATATA~ ~HAKUNA MATATA~ ~HAKUNA MATATA~
Milla
Simba-saurus

Nickname(s): Muna
Pride Points: 16

Postby Iberian » July 31st, 2015, 1:33 pm

Last edited by Iberian on October 10th, 2016, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iberian

Postby Captain Cupcake » August 1st, 2015, 11:43 am

[quote="Halcyon"]TLK is rather easy to animate compared to other more complicated styles, like animes, or other disney cartoons.[/quote]

Actually, anime animation is generally a lot more simple than the likes of Disney's works. They're usually based more on minimalism due to cheaper and faster production schedules, so characters don't really move around much or make complex gestures during scenes outside of action sequences. A talking scene would usually just be comprised of lips flapping up and down while the character remains more or less static during one shot.

Additionally, most of the art styles used don't focus as heavily on showcasing a sense of form and three-dimensionality, so it's a lot less painful to try to stay consistently on model, even if the character being animated seemingly has a lot of details(which is one of the positive trade-offs for the anime style: less movement, but more shadows, lighting, and details you don't have to worry about animating too much in a shot). You could get away with an anime face's alignment being a bit off, whereas the likes of Simba would look utterly ruined if any part wasn't in proper perspective or had a sense of bulk to it.

I wish we could see more anime using Full Animation instead of the usual minimalistic/limited kind, though. It's understandable why it's rarely done in Japan, due to being ridiculously expensive and time-consuming, as well as they staying true to the style they've established over the years, but those rare occurrences where they do use it(such as the Katsuhiro Otomo films "Akira" and "Steamboy") are always so cool to check out.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby Iberian » August 1st, 2015, 10:43 pm

Last edited by Iberian on October 10th, 2016, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iberian

Postby Captain Cupcake » August 2nd, 2015, 5:45 am

[quote="Halcyon"]Well I believe the message is more important than the media. But a great combination of the two is what makes a movie great.[/quote]

That rings true most of the time, but it's interesting how certain films can only reach their maximum potential with Full Animation, depending on the particular story and characters used.

Features like Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron come to mind, where a lot of the story is told through pantomime instead of a good deal of dialogue. You could pull off a story akin to that with minimalism, but it probably wouldn't be as effective without all the intricate little animations and subtleties, because the aforementioned reliance on pantomime plays such a significant role in features like that.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby TheLionPrince » August 8th, 2015, 5:40 am

I love Aaron Blaise, and I have been blown away by the level of artistry and craftsmanship of his art featured on his website. he was definitely a talented character animation; I couldn't tell the difference between his animation of the Beast in Beauty and the Beast apart from Glen Keane's (who is known to one of the best animators of his generation). Brother Bear, while not a masterpiece, is still impressive for its beautiful animation visuals and deep dramatic undertones. I still pity that he hasn't been able to produce his second film such as King of the Elves (with his late collaborator Robert Walker) or The Legend of Tembo. That said, I was touched by his tribute to Cecil the Lion, and he also accompanied with a popular quote from The Lion King:

TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Return to Beyond The Lion King