Uni Project - The Lion King Musical London + Global

Uni Project - The Lion King Musical London + Global

Postby nerissafawn » November 12th, 2014, 3:50 pm

Hello there, I'm a second year music student studying in London, and I'm currently researching for my field work project for Global Perspectives. I've chosen to base my field work project on The Lion King Musical in London. I'm asking here for people's opinion on The Lion King Musical on a global perspective point of view. If anyone can give their opinions on the following:

1. Why do you want to go see The Lion King Musical In London? Or if you have why?
2. How did you hear about it?
3. The music has strong African music influences both instrumentally and vocally, do you come for the music?
4. Merging the two musical worlds of Broadway and South Africa, the composers go from the playful upbeat melodies of "Hakuna Matata" to the somber "Shadowland" to the tribal "One by One". Do you think the music brings a strong influence of South African music to London?
5. Are they good and accurate examples of South African music?
6. With the musical based in London, do you think it's a great tourist attraction?
7. Do you think London itself has become more global with the different cultural influences?
8. Do you think Disney has reached a global status?

I would be ever so grateful to get some answers as it's for my university project, and if anyone can add to the questions I would be even more grateful.

Thank you
Nerissa
nerissafawn

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Re: Uni Project - The Lion King Musical London + Global

Postby FlipMode » November 13th, 2014, 10:54 am

You could ask people which country they live in to get an idea of it too.
When I went there was people from all sorts of different walks of life.
Will send you a PM with my answers soon! :)
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby nerissafawn » November 13th, 2014, 6:47 pm

Thank you for your reply :)
nerissafawn

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Postby DGFone » November 14th, 2014, 7:23 am

I saw The Lion King on Broadway when it was in San Fransisco because that was only an hour away or so from where I lived when I saw it.

However, I can say with certainty the answer to number 4, specifically about "One by One". That song was popular in South Africa as a protest anti-apartheid song (just read the translated lyrics and you will see), so at least for that one song, it can be said that the musical brings a genuine African influence - unlike most of the other songs which were originally composed by either Elton John or Hans Zimmer and "Africanized" by Lebo M, which makes the whole "genuine" Africa portion up to debate.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Return to Beyond The Lion King