It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Re: It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Postby Rollo » April 26th, 2017, 7:48 pm

I completely forgot about Mark Mancina. How stupid of me, because it's blindingly obvious when you listen to his score for Tarzan and Brother Bear that it was his contribution that really helped to drive home the more spiritual and tribal elements of The Lion King's score. Yeah, I'd love to see him tackle it, or assist someone else in doing so.

Lebo M has to come back, too. Even just to re-record those opening vocals and that's it. I would just love to see him attached to the project in some form.
Rollo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 29

Postby Elton John » April 26th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Lebo M is going to be at the Hans Zimmer Live concert tour. I have tickets for it this July. On the off chance that I meet him (I doubt I will) I will ask him about possible involvement in this remake.

Mark Mancina also did the gorgeous score for Moana.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby zerodix » April 26th, 2017, 9:24 pm

19 july 2019.the remake will air. disney posted on facebook
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby TheLionPrince » April 27th, 2017, 3:42 am

[quote="Elton John"]It's just based on things i've heard. That's why I called it a rumor and not a fact.[/quote]

I know. Just post whatever website or source you're reading these rumors from and let us check out. There was a rumor that Simba was going to be a homosexual in the remake and Panpardus thankfully posted a website to clarify it.

[quote="Elton John"]I just assume that the og voice actor for Rafiki is retired. Does Jim Cummings still do voicework? Does Rowen Atkinson still act?

Then again I thought that Jack Nicholson had retired after The Departed but I hear he's now in a new movie? I also assumed Michael Keaton and Jeff Goldblum retired but here they are, back acting.

I really should just stop assuming things.[/quote]

Oh yeah, I forgot about Robert Guillaume. I'm not sure if he's retired or he hasn't been offered roles recently. Jim Cummings is too highly demanded by the animation industry to retire so soon. And yes, Rowan Atkinson still acts.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Elton John » April 27th, 2017, 4:32 am

Most of the links seem to be long gone. Probably just made up bs.

Broderick, Lane and Jeremy Irons likely have very little interest in revisiting their respective character. Although, I can see Jeremy Irons returning if Disney pays him well enough.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Rollo » April 27th, 2017, 11:53 am

I refuse to believe that anyone on this site actually believed that rumour about Simba being gay lol. Like Disney would ever allow that to happen. We might've gotten the tiniest bit of queer inclusion in Beauty and the Beast but it was hardly stellar representation. Disney is still very much reluctant to be too progressive with their movies. Zootopia was a massive leap for them, but we're not quite there yet that we could have a gay Simba.

Speaking on that matter, though, I am curious if Favreau will hint at something more than a friendship between Timon and Pumbaa. Especially if Eichner is cast as Timon.

I'm also going to a Hans Zimmer concert, EJ. Mines just before yours, toward the end of June I think. I wasn't aware that Lebo M would be on the tour! If he performs at this concert I'll be really thrilled.
Rollo

Pride Points: 29

Postby Elton John » April 27th, 2017, 12:15 pm

I think Jon Favreau will expand upon established characterization and aspects of characters but not make completely new aspects.

The only major change I can see him doing is like in the broadway musical, making rafiki female. The original tlk's major issue was that female characters except for Nala were barely in the movie.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Squeely » April 27th, 2017, 4:07 pm

[quote="gothprincesskiara"]im so sick and tired of trying to tell these people the past doesnt last forever, nothing lasts forever[/quote]
I get what you mean, and I agree with your viewpoint, but in a sense, it sorta does last forever. The original film ain't going anywhere! Which is why I find it preposterous to be angry about TLG or the remake. If you don't like it, just watch the original and ignore everything else.

[quote="Elton John"]I want Mark Mancina on the score and lin manuel miranda to write new musical numbers.[/quote]
100% with you on this!

Yeah, the Simba being gay rumor is just some leap-of-logic nonsense; people low-key freaking out because Le Fou danced with a guy for two seconds, so Disney must be obsessed with the gay and will make Simba gay! I'm expecting some hints of gayness from Timon and Pumbaa, but the plot would really get muddled with Simba being gay. You either have Nala be male and there goes your only strong female character who gets a decent chunk of screentime (Sarabi is a really strong character but is way underutilized), and I don't think making Rafiki female would remedy that. Or, Nala stays female but then Simba falls in love with some rogue? Simba and Nala playing as cubs would thus be rendered moot, and a rogue would have no ties to the pride, so the events leading Simba to go back wouldn't get set into motion. And if a male lion were to be from their pride (and this goes for a genderswapped Nala as well), why didn't he challenge Scar? And if he did and lost (presumably because of the hyenas) why would he feel Simba would fare any better? I am normally all for LGBT inclusion, but this is one of those rare cases in which you can't have the main characters be gay and have the story still work. Especially when you bear in mind that lions are quite sexually dimporphic: the males are far more powerfully-built and have thick manes to protect them, which is why they can drive off hyenas while females will have a lot more trouble in that regard. So, then, it stands to reason why the lionesses are so helpless under Scar's reign, and why they would need another male lion to save them. So yeah, I can 100% guarantee Simbs will still be straight.

I definitely prefer female Rafiki over male. Not that male was bad, he's a great character, but the higher amount of energy and quirkiness of the Broadway Rafiki gives her the edge. Also, I forget if it has a specific name, but there's a healer/shaman type in African culture, and they're traditionally female. So fingers crossed for a female Rafiki! (Though I won't be mad or anything if they go male with this one)

Hmm... Rogen is gonna feel weird as Pumbaa, unless he's decent at mimicking Sabella's voice. It's just that, Sabella's voice is possibly the most distinct I've ever heard, while Rogen's is naturally a lot more typical of your average guy. I do think someone other than Sabella can pull off the Pumbaa voice (the Nostalgia Critic does it decently well, and I'm sure there are people out there who can do it better than he can), but if Rogen doesn't try mimicking the original voice, it'll take some getting used to for sure.

I'm with Favreau on our Queen Bee being an excellent choice for Nala!
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Elton John » April 27th, 2017, 4:49 pm

It wasn't a rumor.

It was a completely made up april fools joke by pinknews.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby zerodix » April 28th, 2017, 5:56 am

the simba beeing gay thing? thats actually offensive to lgbt people..
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King (2019)