Robert Guillaume, voice of Rafiki, dies at 89

Robert Guillaume, voice of Rafiki, dies at 89

Postby TheLionPrince » October 24th, 2017, 8:51 pm

Sad news. Robert Guillaume, the voice of Rafiki, has died at the age of 89. He was also famous for his Emmy Award-winning role as Benson, the wise-cracking butler, on Soap and later given his own spin-off sitcom series, Benson. He will be missed.

TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Re: Robert Guillaume, voice of Rafiki, dies at 89

Postby Kallo » October 24th, 2017, 10:37 pm

If I'm not mistaken, I believe he is the first of the original TLK's cast to pass away. This is why I wish we got more stuff like interviews and panels with the VAs from the movie over the years. Many of these actors might not be around for much longer, sadly.

Also, Guillaume died on my birthday. Extremely weird seeing anyone's death date be on your birthday.
Kallo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 21

Postby Elton John » October 24th, 2017, 10:59 pm

[quote="Kallo"]If I'm not mistaken, I believe he is the first of the original TLK's cast to pass away. This is why I wish we got more stuff like interviews and panels with the VAs from the movie over the years. Many of these actors might not be around for much longer, sadly.

Also, Guillaume died on my birthday. Extremely weird seeing anyone's death date be on your birthday.[/quote]

Madge Sinclair died in 1995. Zoe Leader died a year or two back.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Panpardus » October 24th, 2017, 11:44 pm

Speaking of interviews, this one from about two years back is the most recent and in-depth one I've heard from Guillaume about his Lion King involvement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQw2b1RPP5A

I do wish we could've publicly heard his thoughts on Khary Payton's Rafiki and the "live-action" version.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Kallo » October 25th, 2017, 1:21 am

[quote="Elton John"]Madge Sinclair died in 1995. Zoe Leader died a year or two back.[/quote]

Oh yeah. Totally blanked on Sinclair. Guess she passed so long ago by now and so soon after the movie's release my mind just skipped her. Didn't know Zoe Leader had passed away, though.
Kallo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 21

Postby SimbasGuard » October 26th, 2017, 9:30 pm

That is so sad. RIP Robert Guillaume :sad:

[quote="Panpardus"]I do wish we could've publicly heard his thoughts on Khary Payton's Rafiki and the "live-action" version.[/quote]

That would have been very interesting to hear. Thank you for sharing that interview.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Gaze » October 30th, 2017, 5:01 am

was really sad to hear this..... I think his performance is arguably the best in TLK
Gaze
TLK collector

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and bad poster

Pride Points: 26

Postby Littlefoot » April 27th, 2018, 2:47 pm

[quote="Kallo"]Also, Guillaume died on my birthday. Extremely weird seeing anyone's death date be on your birthday.[/quote]
You're kidding me! He died on my birthday too!! :sad:

I know I'm a little late, but may he rest in peace. He also played a minor character in The Land Before Time 8 (and the TV series) named Mr Thicknose.
"I paid, but it's not slippery road surface. Finally, I was a taxi!" :sinister:
Balto forum: http://baltofanclub.proboards.com/
Land Before Time forum: http://www.gangoffive.net/
Littlefoot
Let your heart guide you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

It whispers, so listen closely

Location: Body is in Colorado Springs, CO. Soul is in Santa Fe, NM and Estes Park, CO
Nickname(s): LF, Shane
Pride Points: 7

Return to Beyond The Lion King