Poll ended at November 15th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Ahadi
13%
Uru
88%

Total votes : 8

The Mohatu debate

Postby gothprincesskiara » October 15th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Forgive me if there was already something made for this topic, but since I have noticed how there is a big TLK debate over Mohatu either being Ahadis :ahadi: father or Uru's, I am actually shocked of what I have researched, but once again, to me its just so frustrating to know what to trust online anymore as anyone out there can change the information in anything, but it also depends on how accurate these resources are so long as they have REFERENCES and BIBLIOGRAPHYS at the bottom of these sites. Here is what I have known as a lion king fan growing up, at first from doing so much TLK web surfing as a kid and reading SO MUCH fan fiction stories from the fan fic Library I used alot like this one http://www.lionking.org/text/ (alot of stories have disappeared and alot a has changed here over many years), and based on Character lists in these stories http://www.lionking.org/text/Encyclopedia.txt, it was Mohatu being Ahadis father, but I stopped reading fan fiction long ago, and because I rely on what Disney gives us, they are the true wizards of any DIsney story lore and what they choose to do with it. But Mohatu mostly comes from those Adventure Books NOT officially claimed by Disney, and yet it would be so cool but wishful thinking that Disney would solve this for us, but until they claim those stories, this debate will remain up in the air with different theories and opinions. So I figured I would also create a voting poll here, Which do you think it is or should be, Urs or Ahadis father, BUT FOR ME? I believe that Mohatu IS father to Ahadi. You can also vote on My Facebook RP page. just click the link on my signature below.
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Re: The Mohatu debate

Postby TheLionPrince » October 15th, 2018, 10:58 pm

I don't think Mohatu even qualifies as canon since Kopa doesn't even exist in the film universe which means Ahadi and Mufasa and Scar's backstory aren't canon either. If Ahadi doesn't exist, then, the story of Simba's great-grandfather has nothing to connect to.

For the sake of the topic, I like the idea that Uru is Mohatu's daughter since fans depict her as a dark-furred lioness, although she would be the regnant queen, which isn't the case. Since Ahadi seems to be the regnant king in his story, he has to be Mohatu's son. Perhaps, Ahadi looks more like his mother since he has a black mane and green eyes while Mohatu is basically a dark-furred version of Mufasa.
Last edited by TheLionPrince on October 19th, 2018, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby DGFone » October 19th, 2018, 5:02 am

I didn't do too much digging into it for this topic, but the most common arrangement I see is that Uru is Mohatu's daughter, and Ahadi is a stranger who comes along and joins the Pride Lands. As TheLionPrince points out in his post, the most common fan theory is that Uru is the direct bloodline for Mufasa and Scar to Mohatu, and is generally depicted as having the dark fur complexion that Scar gets in the movie.

My two cents? While it's true that a fan theory can virally blow up to became de facto canon, such as with Sky Winter in the Zootopia fanon - a random piece of development art turned into a full character, it, just like with the Sky example, still takes at least a kernel of proper source material to take off like that. In this case, sure, Six New Adventures is not considered canon ever since Simba's Pride came out. But now with The Lion Guard retconing a lot of things in the movies as well, it's not like Simba's Pride holds much legitimacy in this case as well. Six New Adventures was, ultimately commissioned and created under the direction of Disney, making it far more legitimate a source than any piece of fan creation. And until we get a newer, 'more legitimate' source to contradict Six New Adventures, it is canon as far as anyone can be concerned.

So, IMO, Uru is Mohatu's daughter, as is the most common depiction of her.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby TheLionPrince » October 19th, 2018, 4:41 pm

[quote="DGFone"]I didn't do too much digging into it for this topic, but the most common arrangement I see is that Uru is Mohatu's daughter, and Ahadi is a stranger who comes along and joins the Pride Lands. As TheLionPrince points out in his post, the most common fan theory is that Uru is the direct bloodline for Mufasa and Scar to Mohatu, and is generally depicted as having the dark fur complexion that Scar gets in the movie.

My two cents? While it's true that a fan theory can virally blow up to became de facto canon, such as with Sky Winter in the Zootopia fanon - a random piece of development art turned into a full character, it, just like with the Sky example, still takes at least a kernel of proper source material to take off like that. In this case, sure, Six New Adventures is not considered canon ever since Simba's Pride came out. But now with The Lion Guard retconing a lot of things in the movies as well, it's not like Simba's Pride holds much legitimacy in this case as well. Six New Adventures was, ultimately commissioned and created under the direction of Disney, making it far more legitimate a source than any piece of fan creation. And until we get a newer, 'more legitimate' source to contradict Six New Adventures, is canon as far as anyone can be concerned.

So, IMO, Uru is Mohatu's daughter, as is the most common depiction of her.[/quote]

I'm having trouble trying to comprehend what you're trying to say because you didn't place a noun after the comma following Six New Adventures. So, you think Mufasa and Scar's story as told in the book is still considered canon because it hasn't been replaced by another story?
Last edited by TheLionPrince on October 19th, 2018, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionPrince

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby DGFone » October 19th, 2018, 7:07 pm

^Lol, fixed. But to answer your question, yes, I do consider Six New Adventures to be canon as long as no newer material has contradicted it.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby TheLionPrince » October 19th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Alright. Either way, canon continuity in The Lion King franchise is a disorganized mess if you ask me. For me, I can't put "The Tale of Two Brothers" and Mufasa and Scar's backstory as revealed in The Lion Guard together because the stories feel so different. Plus, it was explained in Simba's Pride that a facial scar like Scar's and Kovu's comes from a lion claw. A scar from the horns of a water buffalo could potentially be enough to blind a lion.

Lastly, Six New Adventures is built around Kopa. If your main character isn't canon, how can the supporting events be? (This is a rhetorical question. You don't have to answer it.)
TheLionPrince

Postby WildSimba » October 19th, 2018, 8:07 pm

[quote="DGFone"]^Lol, fixed. But to answer your question, yes, I do consider Six New Adventures to be canon as long as no newer material has contradicted it.[/quote]

But it's not canon, the creators themselves have confirmed that it's (officially licensed) fan-fiction. lol
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Elton John » October 19th, 2018, 8:20 pm

the creators of the original had very little to do with anything after the original.

Disney owns the IP, so they have the final say on what is canon or not and they have decided that the six new adventures isn’t canon. They decided that 20 years ago but fans can’t seem to get that through their heads.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby WildSimba » October 19th, 2018, 8:43 pm

[quote="Elton John"]the creators of the original had very little to do with anything after the original.

Disney owns the IP, so they have the final say on what is canon or not and they have decided that the six new adventures isn’t canon. They decided that 20 years ago but fans can’t seem to get that through their heads.[/quote]

That was more what I was trying to get at but you put it a lot better. lol If we were going off of "it's official until something else replaces it" that would make a lot of fanfiction official. It's what disney decides is or isn't official within the universe because they're the ones officially working on the property. lol
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby FlipMode » October 19th, 2018, 10:33 pm

yep just like disney did with star wars, fans spent years building some great stories, adding more depth to the characters and exploring more of the mythos and then disney bought the ip and said "NONE OF THAT AMAZING STUFF IS CANNON ANYMORE!" thanks for that mickey.
wait what were we talking about again? lion king? yeah that film is okay i guess
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Next

Return to Beyond The Lion King