What languages can YOU speak?

Fun and Games is a fun and zany place, but please remember to follow forum rules when posting. Things can become spammy, but please refrain from posting outright spam topics. Just ask a staff member if you have any questions!

Re: What languages can YOU speak?

Postby AdAstrα » August 13th, 2013, 11:50 pm

[quote="Arbystrider"]
Nordic language speakers are probably the biggest cheat since Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, etc etc are SO SIMILAR. Or so I've heard.[/quote]
Actually, they're not. Not really. Swedish is my first language, and I can just about understand Norwegian (unless it's a weird accent). I don't understand Danish at all.
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby FlipMode » August 13th, 2013, 11:51 pm

English and L33T
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby MooLion » August 14th, 2013, 11:18 am

English. I was never good with languages. Can remember the odd bit of Spanish and French vocab.
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby Meskhenet » August 20th, 2013, 4:43 pm

English with a little bit of Spanish.
Meskhenet
Let this prayer be your guide

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always remember your pride

Nickname(s): Mesk
Pride Points: 21

Postby Timon4life » August 22nd, 2013, 3:30 am

it's amazing how most non-Americans can speak so many languages while we Americans on the other hand just know English.... I do know some German though. I think it's a really fun language :D
"when the world turns its back on you, you turn your back on the world" -Timon
Timon4life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Postby Gemini » August 28th, 2013, 9:08 pm

Well, I'm 15 and an American who only grew up with English, so I haven't *mastered* any foreign languages yet... but I do have a huge interest in them. I'm getting pretty good with Spanish, and as such I can also read/translate Portuguese as well as some Italian and French. My grandfather speaks Polish so I know a smidgen of that, too. I really wanted to learn Icelandic, but I don't know anyone who knows the language. I tried to teach myself, but it's notoriously difficult so that's kind of on hold.

Because of those efforts, I can read the smallest amounts of Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish (they are very similar, at least in writing... though there are some differences in pronunciation/orthography and such).

I'm also planning on taking German in college. I would've taken it in high school, but they cut it out... -.-
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

Postby Gemini » August 28th, 2013, 9:40 pm

[quote="Woeler"][quote="wolfishgirl"]English, American, Mexican, some Spanish, some French, some Russian, and some Hindu... I am also proficient in GIBBERISH!!![/quote]
Mexican does not exist, they speak Spanish there[/quote]

Well, it depends on what you consider 'Mexican'. Spanish is the official language, yes, but that's not all they speak there. So really, there's several 'Mexican' languages - if, at least, you consider Nahuatl (the native language of the Aztecs) and other related tongues to be 'Mexican' (since the Aztecs were known as the Mexica and lived in Mexico long before Spanish was introduced).

It's kind of like how there are several languages on the Spanish peninsula, and they all consider themselves to be 'Spanish' - just because Castillian Spanish is the official language of Mexico and Spain doesn't mean there aren't other languages in those places.

I highly doubt that's what she meant, though. :( *sigh* Still, it'd be cool if someone on this board actually spoke a Native American language. ^^ ... So if you do... maybe you should post... *hinthint*
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Don't look back

Postby DGFone » August 28th, 2013, 9:52 pm

My family's Russian, and while I can reasonably well (me believes) understand it, I can't for the sake of my life actually speak (or read/write) it. So I would like to re-learn it sometime.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Gemini » August 28th, 2013, 10:49 pm

^ Oh, and I'm not sure if this classifies as learning a language, but I actually taught myself to read Cyrillic (the script used in Russia and neighboring countries). Granted, I can't understand most of it (sans cognates which sound similar to English), but nonetheless I figure I'll include that. xP Might help me if I decide to learn Russian someday, since they don't use Latin script.

[quote="DGFone"] ...[W]hile I can reasonably well (me believes) understand it, I can't for the sake of my life actually speak (or read/write) it[/quote]

I've met a few people both online and in real life with this problem. A shame that listening and understanding isn't the same as speaking the language. :|
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Don't look back

Postby SimbasMate » August 28th, 2013, 10:58 pm

English, profanity and sarcasm. :D No, really. I only speak English if you don't count those.
[quote="Amanda"]And just like that she vanished, like a fart in the wind.
[/quote]
sig by Regulus
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/mes

Nickname(s): SM/Crystal
Telegram: @CatOverlord
Pride Points: 161

PreviousNext

Return to Fun and Games