Characters You Relate To

Fun and Games is a fun and zany place, but please remember to follow forum rules when posting. Things can become spammy, but please refrain from posting outright spam topics. Just ask a staff member if you have any questions!

Characters You Relate To

Postby Carl » February 18th, 2016, 9:49 pm

We had a similar topic once exclusively for cartoon characters, but here's one for any characters. I've noticed through gaining experiences and maturing that the characters I have related to in life have changed, so this could be a fun way to watch ourselves develop as well as talk about characters we like. Sounds good to me!

So basically, any time you post here, you can talk about the character(/s) you relate to most from a specific fandom or broad categories, and you can always post about someone else later on or what have you. :)
Last edited by Carl on March 28th, 2017, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Re: Characters You Relate To

Postby Regulus » February 18th, 2016, 11:01 pm

Hiccup from How to Train Your Dragon easily makes it to the top of the list by quite some margin. I'm a bit of a misfit like he is, and my place in such a setting would be extremely similar. As much as I try to fit in with modern culture at times, it's a pretty hopeless gesture. Hiccup's relationship with his father also reminds me a lot of my own relationship with my dad.

Princess Twilight Sparkle would be second. Despite the gender gap, I find her to be one of the most relatable characters because of her studious nature and the way she responds to too much stress. She has tremendous respect for Princess Celestia, which reminds me of how I used to look up to my parents and teachers when I was younger. She's responsible, trustworthy, and doesn't usually cause trouble--unless her moral compass suggests something is wrong. She's also awkward and nerdy most of the time, which helps.

The Doctor from Doctor Who is another big one. He's clever, witty, sometimes arrogant, sometimes bitter and cynical, but sometimes hopeful when the odds are all against him. He's been all over the universe and explored all of time. He's encountered enemies, but he's made many friends, and he's lost just as many. The Doctor's adventures with his companions remind me of all the places I've been and all the friends I've had at different chapters of my life. Doctor Who is one of the few shows that portrays one character who's constantly changing--in the same way I find myself changing as people enter and leave my life over the years. His tendencies to run from, negotiate with, or outsmart his enemies are all tendencies that I observe in my own character.

And lastly, Obi Wan Kenobi. Because I try to be calm, reasonable, and helpful in social situations, but sometimes people will come running at me with lightsabers and try to chop me into pieces. No. Please. Let's not do this. I'd rather not cause any trouble. I don't want to fight anyone. If you're mad at me, I'll buy a you a beer and we can talk this out. If that won't work, then... I'll do what I must.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Ninaroja » February 20th, 2016, 12:56 am

Not so much now, but in the past (maybe when I was 15/16) I truly felt like I was living in the shadow of an older sibling. So, for that reason, I found Scar to be a highly relatable character. I don't condone what he did, but I understand why he felt the way he did.
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby Shadowfax » February 21st, 2016, 8:44 pm

People probably know who I am going to say, but Lightning from Final Fantasy 13 would probably top my list for most relatable characters, especially with how she develops later on in the game. At the start, she's a bit of a loner. As was I years ago and when I first started playing them. But when a group of people she trusts comes along, she soon starts to relax and even become friends with them.

She used to be untrusting and hostile towards new people, but again later on she gets better and again, this is the same with me.

I'm also sarcastic at times, stand up for myself, don't take crap from anyone anymore and I will do anything for my family. I'm loyal to those I care about and I always look out for my family. Like Lightning does.

Without spoiling it, Light finds herself in a very peaceful and happy place at the end of the game and I am starting to feel like this too. We both worked hard to get where we got to and that's another trait I share with her :)
Shadowfax
Never give up;

And good luck will find you.

Pride Points: 182

Postby Lionkingview » February 26th, 2016, 12:16 am

Well, i really used to identify myself with Donnie Darko from "Donnie Darko" when i was 15-18ish (so 5-2 years ago) I was always vey caught up in my own thoughts. Things like, being the odd one in the family and also feeling kind of ,y'know, the good old teenage angst blues,made me identify with the character even more. Also i really tend to do my own thing , trying not to bother anyone(in the hopes of not getting bothered myself).

Also around that time i started to idolize/try to be like Number 6 from the 60's(they showed a re-run) Mystery TV show"The Prisoner". I was kind of an outsider and seing someone not only keep on going beeing himself ,but also deffending his own individualism with words and actions really made me realize who i was and that i liked myself.

Now for the present. Altair from assasins creed, he is (at least at the bginning of the first AC) kind of arroggant ,stubborn and not accepting of help. Especially in regards to his stubbornes . I'm the kind of guy who would rather screw up something important by myself , than admitting defeat by asking someone for help.Also Altair is refreshingly introverted and a person of enjoyable solitude....just like me, plus i am also somewhat tempted to question authority. Altair is one of the reasons why i like assasins creed better than assasins creed II.......Enzio was a bit too.....Disney -ish(y'know boyish nature, to upbeat and extroverted, he's far too in your face. and i really don't like that )

The 6th,9th and 12th doctor doctor from Doctor Who, all of these incarnations of the doctor tended to have a very neat at times even subtle and dark sense of humor and i really identify with that. Also they have a certain calmness that i appreciate in myself as well. They ,just like me, do their own thing but do like to have company from time to time.

I also tend to build a tough guy barricade around me, but there will always be that part of me that is frightened of so many things .... that little boy who needed a night light until he was 14......So i really relate a lot to the 12th doctor in this regard......as a matter of fact the episode "listen" from season 8 genuinely caught me of guard, as i was faced with an altoo familiar feeling scenario . And also, just like the 12th doctor i'm not much of a hugging person. (unless i'm familiar with that person)

Oh, yeah and i also , since i am the youngest of three siblings i kinda identified with ......not Scar but rather vitani.....i always looked up to my brother.So yeah, no sympathy for goo'ol taka :evil:
ImageImage
But in the end, the human soul
will ever reach for the truth
-Samus Aran-
Lionkingview
I go my own way

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 6

Postby ScarHades » March 2nd, 2016, 3:36 pm

I think I relate to Gordon the Big Engine from Thomas and Friends because I like to complain whenever I want.
ScarHades

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Rors
Pride Points: 3

Postby Carl » March 24th, 2016, 12:59 am

-removed-
Last edited by Carl on March 28th, 2017, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby SlayerOfLight » April 29th, 2016, 4:25 pm

*revives this topic*

Even though I'm not really into Harry Potter (anymore) I can relate a lot to prof. Severus Snape.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Return to Fun and Games