Wokovu: Kovu's Journey

Re: Wokovu: Kovu's Journey

Postby CheetahCat » December 16th, 2009, 1:09 am

Wonderful new addition to your Fan Fiction, YFWE. ^^ You really did do an outstanding job my friend and I think the violence bit was fine hehe. Even though you're not a big fan of it, it still added much more depth into your amazing story. ^^ I have a strong feeling that you're going to win this month's Fan Fiction award and I won't be surprised if this happens. :) I'm already anticipating your next chapter since this story is beyond belief! Can't wait to see what other surprising factors you may add in the future. ^^
CheetahCat
Tea Guzzler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Meow.

Nickname(s): TeenSimba, Si, TS
Pride Points: 9

Postby YFWE » December 16th, 2009, 8:56 am

Seriously now, you two are way too kind. C: I've gotten to the point where I can't even bring myself to read reviews anymore because if y'all have reviewed, I get embarrassed since y'all are just so nice, haha. But really, honestly, thanks a ton. I don't get a ton of readers for this thing, but I'm glad to have the ones that I DO have like you guys. Y'all make it easier to write since I feel much less pressured. <3

And also, since I can't really say it in the nominations topic per se (I could but it'd be kinda unfitting I guess, LOL), thanks to both of you for nominating me for the Fanfic Award this month... it really does mean a lot. From the looks of it right now, I'll be lucky to just get my name in the final ballot, but even that would be good enough for me considering that I'm not particularly well-known around these parts. But yeah, thanks a lot. CCC: I've been incredibly happy as of late because of it.
YFWE
Begger, stealer, borrower

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Svanire

Pride Points: 29

Postby YFWE » December 26th, 2009, 5:01 am

Merry Christmas, everyone! I had this finished earlier in the day, but our power was out most of the day, so I was unable to post until now. C:

Wokovu: Kovu’s Journey
Chapter 6: The Great Kings

The breezeless afternoon that had descended upon the Pride Lands irked Rafiki slightly. Already it had been a nearly unbearable summer due to the scorching heat and an ill-timed drought; even his baobab tree home had begun to exhibit slight fatigue, its normally green leaves beginning to turn a dull brown.

The discomfort…thank the Kings…did not interfere with his shamanistic duties, though. Already that day, Rafiki had mediated a disagreement on the northern border between two families of hippos (Simba ,more recently, had allowed him this duty, and he felt that he was hardly anything less than a natural at it), had taken his routine stroll in the grounds around his home and down to the water hole, and had even fashioned a nice new pouch to fasten about his walking stick. What was more, he had managed the talk with the Great Kings he had planned on having after the previous evening’s sighting of Kovu alone in the savanna.

Their talk had been an interesting one.

The mandrill searched his tree home fervently. He found his walking stick in the corner, with the spares, and snatched it up with ninja-like agility. Rafiki took great care, as he always did, to be sure that all was right with his stick…mainly, that the pouch and its contents were still present and accounted for. It was essential that he did not ever lose this pouch; it was very significant and meaningful to the great shaman.

He had not originally planned on leaving the baobab again that day…he had accomplished much, and he was rather tired; it would be a good day to turn in early. However, his talk with the Kings had altered this plan, albeit slightly. Rafiki would meet with Simba, let him know what the Kings had confided in him, and receive in turn the Lion King’s opinion on the matter. Perhaps, Rafiki hoped, he would be in bed before sundown if all went well.

Rafiki scaled down the tree, landing lightly on the grassy base of the baobab. He did not have to move much further, however, for as the mandrill turned to look at the distant Pride Rock, he saw the very lion he wished to meet coming down the path toward him. Rafiki smiled toothily, setting off to meet the approaching Simba halfway. The lion was in no hurry, it seemed…which, Rafiki thought, was generally good news…but had a look to him that suggested something was on his mind, that this was no leisure visit the king was paying to the shaman.

The hornbill Zazu flew slightly ahead of Simba, soaring amidst the trees, his brilliant blue feathers trembling and bristling with the currents of air. Spotting Rafiki, he flew low to the ground, finally coming to rest at a spot on the ground in front of the shaman. Zazu, grinning, bowed low. “Afternoon, Rafiki. Presenting the King of…”

“Quiet, Zazu,” Simba grimaced. “Hey, Rafiki.”

“My King,” said Rafiki, with an added wink.

“I was just coming to see you about something…”

“Ah, what a coincidence, no? I was just doing de same.”

Simba’s eyes widened. “Really? Okay, you first, then.”

“I am sure whatever you have to say is much more important,” said Rafiki. “Go ahead.”

“No, I insist.”

“And I the same.”

“Will one of you just say something already?!” cried Zazu finally, causing Simba to jump. “My word…”

Simba paused, stealing a sideways glance at the hornbill. “Well…” he started, “it’s about Kovu.”

“Ah, interesting. Dis is de subject of my concern as well,” Rafiki said. Zazu sighed noticeably, rolling his eyes.

“You know he’s gone, then?” asked Simba.

“Saw the young lion late last evening by himself. Thought it was odd dat Kovu was out so late and alone to boot.”

“Well, Vitani claims that this was premeditated. Said that Kovu had gone off to find himself. He’d been acting kinda strange since the battle anyway, so in a way it wasn’t that surprising. Still, though… I’m worried about him,” said Simba. “Like… maybe Zira dying affected him more than he gave off originally.” He looked up at Rafiki. “What do you think?”

“It is possible, my King,” Rafiki replied thoughtfully. “No matter how evil Zira became, she was still Kovu’s mother. She raised him, put shelter over his head. It would not be surprising.”

“So you think it’s just that?”

“Dat I cannot be sure about,” said Rafiki. “If you are done, you will be interested to hear what ol’ Rafiki was coming to tell you, methinks.”

Simba nodded. “Please.”

“Well,” started Rafiki, “as I said, I saw the lion leaving Pride Rock last evening. I was curious as to why he was leaving and where he was going, so I decided I would consult with the Kings in the morning.”

“Good idea. What’d they say?” Simba asked.

Rafiki sighed. “A lot of nothing. Simba, my friend, I am not very pleased with the Kings at the moment.”

Simba eyed Rafiki curiously. Even Zazu was intent on listening, agape. Rafiki had never seemed to have a problem with the Great Kings when he spoke with them. What had happened?

“I asked dem about Kovu, about where he was going and why he was going dere,” continued Rafiki. “Dey were very keen to avoid answering my questions directly. All I was able to get out of dem was dat Kovu was on a mission, and dat he would be gone for a few days, and dat dere was nothing to worry. If dere was, I would be de first to know, dey said.”

“A mission…” Simba stared at the ground studiously. “That could mean he’s finding himself like Vitani said… and it could mean many other things. Very vague and ambiguous…”

“Indeed,” Rafiki said with a hint of displeasure. “I am not used to de Kings being vague. Dey are usually very straightforward. Dat said, I trust dem.”

“Why do you suppose they’re being vague, though?” Simba asked.

“Well… I do have a supposition, but I am unsure dat you will want to hear it.”

Shrugging, Simba said, “I’ll hear anything you’ve got, Rafiki.”

“Walk with me, den,” Rafiki said, turning his back on the lion and hornbill. “I am parched, my King, and you look like you could use a splash of water as well.”

Zazu and Simba glanced once at each other before setting off after the mandrill, Zazu taking to the air once again. The water hole was a short distance away, and Rafiki was right…Simba was rather thirsty.

Reaching the water hole, Rafiki bent low to the shimmering water and cupped his hands against it, bringing water to his mouth and drinking it graciously. Simba followed suit a little ways away, and Zazu found a nearby tree on which to perch. “Quite a drought we are having, no?” said Rafiki, looking up from the water and leaping onto a proximate boulder, reclining in the sun. “Water level’s already rather low here… give it a while longer and dere won’t be any water left!”

“Don’t remind me,” sighed Simba. “Alright, Rafiki, what did you have to say, then?”

“Ah yes,” Rafiki wiped his mouth quickly before continuing. “Well den, I wondered dis… what is something different about Kovu? I mean, something different from you, your father, and the Kings before him.”

Simba pondered this for a moment. “Well, he had been exiled. Is that it?”

“Dat is true. But no, dat is not what I am tinking of.”

“Er… mane color?” Simba was grasping at straws.

“Tink, now…” Rafiki said, staring into the Lion King’s eyes. “Your father… he was a King, no?”

“Of course…”

“And his father?”

“A king…”

Rafiki winked. “See where I am heading here?”

It finally hit Simba. “Kovu’s not a direct descendant of a former King. I mean, he isn’t the son of a King like everyone else has been.”

“Precisely,” nodded Rafiki. “I wonder, den… maybe dis is a test for Kovu. Something dat will prove his worth to de Great Kings. I am not saying dat de Kings put him up to leaving, necessarily, but dey might have. Dey may also know he is off to do someting else and want to see if he can triumph on his own. Either way, I doubt he is off finding himself. De Kings, I tink, would have no problem telling me dat.”

“So… you think Kovu is on some sort of mission, either by his own will or by the Great Kings?”

“Right, and if it is by his own will, de Kings still see it as a test of his worth. Dey can be like dat sometimes… I pray you will not be once you join dem.”

Simba began to pace slowly. In that moment, he, too, was unhappy with his father and the other Kings. But just as Rafiki did, he trusted them…he had no choice but to. He would not tell the rest of the Pride…especially Kiara…about Rafiki’s theory, though. At least not yet. They would instead continue under the assumption that Kovu was on a sort-of meditative retreat and would be returning in a few days’ time. In the meantime…

“Thanks, Rafiki, you’ve been a huge help,” Simba nodded quickly before turning back toward Pride Rock, Zazu fluttering out of the tree and to his side.

In the meantime… perhaps he could get more information from Vitani. After his talk with Rafiki, Simba now had his doubts, and if Rafiki was correct in his assumption, Vitani might know more than she had let off.

It was merely a question of how to get her to talk.

xXxXxXx

“I’m on to you, Kovu.”

The voice had resounded across the lands, freezing Kovu in his tracks. He was alone; there was no one or no thing around for as far as the eye could see. And yet the voice had come, had found him somehow.

Kovu whipped his head around to see the fog descending upon him from behind. He began to run, panicked…though he knew it would not matter. The fog, as it always did, would catch him eventually.

And still he ran. Kovu ran fast, so fast that the ground below his paws did not even feel present, as if he were dashing across the air, as if there were no longer any boundaries to the world he resided in. The cloudless, starless night sky loomed over him like a massive dark blue blanket that threatened to envelop him absolutely. The voice of Simba continued on, continued to speak to Kovu, but Kovu had been unable to make out his words over his exhausted panting as he darted across the flat, treeless land.

The invisible twigs came, as they always did. They snapped at Kovu’s face, and Kovu swore he could taste blood as he slowed down, the fog engulfing his heels, an unseen force knocking him to the ground.

The fog swirled and churned, shaping itself into an all-too-familiar face…the head of Simba. Unlike the past, however, the fog held back, not forming Simba’s entire body. It loomed over him, ominous, as Simba glared down at Kovu

“I’m on to you,” Simba repeated.

“Wh-what do you mean?”

“You’ve deserted your Pride. Left them to die. Left me to die. Left your future wife to die. And all you worried about was saving your own hide.”

“That wasn’t my intent! I went to s…”

“Went to what?” Simba growled. “Went to join them? Is that it? Can I expect your sister and the other Outlanders to run off soon as well?”

“You’re not listening! I went…”

Simba roared deafeningly, and Kovu was sent cowering, his pulse pounding inside his head, his heart hammering within his chest. He was paralyzed once more; unable to run, unable to escape.

The fog above and aside Simba eddied about, and Kovu swore he could make out other tiny faces beginning to form from out of the corner of his eye as he stared up at Simba.

“And what about your two little friends, Kovu? Hm? How much longer were you planning on keeping the truth from them? They’re basically children!”

“N…”

“Not only are you toying with our lives, but their lives as well! You’re leading them to their deaths!” cried Simba.

“NO! THAT’S NOT WHAT I’M DOING… I… oh, no.”

Koko and Bidii’s faces had formed in the fog beside Simba. They gazed at Simba sadly…Koko’s round canine eyes even seemed to have tears welling up in them.

“I should have known,” Koko said finally. “Th-the entire time, y-you weren’t one of th-the good g-guys…”

“Yeah, we trusted you, and it was all for nothing, wasn’t it, Koko? We were gonna die if we never learned the truth, yeah, that’s it, we were gonna die and you weren’t gonna care at all, were you, Kovu? It never, ever even crossed your mind because you never, ever cared about anyone but yourself. Simba told us the entire story, didn’t you, sir? Yeah, he told us everything you were planning, yes he did,” Bidii spoke so fast it was a wonder he had enough breath for it all.

“No! You’ve got it all wrong! I would never try to hurt you two!” Kovu exclaimed pleadingly.

“S-save it,” Koko howled, fighting back tears. “I don’t wanna h-hear it anymore.”

“Koko, no! I care deeply about you, I’d never put you in harm’s way! Nor you, Bidii! Remember when I said I’d tell you when we were in danger? I meant every word!”

Koko shook her head and closed her eyes, fangs gritting against one another. Bidii glowered at Kovu as he rested his head against Koko’s. Simba looked down at them questioningly. Finally, Koko reopened her eyes. Blood-red eyes. Blood-red eyes against the darkened sky.

“K-kill him,” she said in a voice much lower and mature than what Kovu had heard from her prior. And then Koko and Bidii vanished in a wisp of fog, leaving only Simba. The fog swirled again, against Simba’s head, as the rest of his torso appeared through the mist. Simba flexed his claws, grinning forebodingly. “With pleasure,” he snarled.

“PLEASE, STOP! SIMBA, I BEG YOU, PLEASE, HAVE MERCY…”

“I think I’m going to enjoy this,” said the Lion King with a sneer.

“NO, SIMBA,PLEASE! KOKO! BIDII! KOKO!!!”

“Kovu, what is it?!”

Kovu sat up hastily, blinking once, twice, three times. He stood and looked around. He was standing in the grouping of trees they had fallen asleep in. There was no Simba around, no fog, no starless sky… it had been a dream… he was alive.

“Are y-you okay?” Koko had sidled up to Kovu, gaping up at him in both fear and concern. “You were c-crying in your sleep… scared us half to death. I don’t even know where B-bidii went…”

Kovu sighed deeply and shook his head. “I’m fine… just a bad dream, that’s all. I’m… prone to them.”

“S-so you had a bad dream… about Bidii and I? And s-some Simba guy? Who’s S-simba?”

Glancing up at the sky, Kovu was relieved to find that it was not the evening yet; rather, he approximated there to be at least a few hours of daylight left. He shook his mane out from over his eyes and put on the best grin he could muster. “It’s about time I let you know where we’re going, isn’t it?”

“If you w-want…”

“I do. It was wrong of me to even keep you guessing this long. Where’d you say Bidii had gone?”

Koko shrugged. “Knowing him, he’ll be up a tree or something. He thought you were going to e-eat him.”

“Well, find him,” said Kovu. “We need to get moving if we’re going to catch that lioness… that I still need to tell you about.” Kovu laughed. “I’ll fill you guys in on the way.”

While he was unsure if the Simba of his dreams would truly react the same way in real life, something about the dream-Koko and dream-Bidii had stirred something inside Kovu; there could be no more secrets. If these two were to accompany him, they had to know the risks. Kovu knew full well that things could become very dangerous very soon, and privately he wondered if they were even prepared to be in the midst of his encounter with Jasusi and her allies.

He would give them the decision to stay or leave, though Kovu hoped it would be the former. They would be useful, no matter what. And, Kovu thought with a grin, they’re really beginning to grow on me.

“A-all ready!” said Koko cheerfully, clamoring toward Kovu from behind a tree, Bidii at that moment clenched between her jaws. Kovu smiled warmly. He was glad to have this company.

“Alright,” Kovu said. “Let’s go.”

END CHAPTER

Alrighty, then! Wanted to get an update in before I leave for a few days, so here y'all go. C: I apologize; this one was a bit of a talker, LOL. Action should come eventually, though. Gotta get through all this first.

Thank you dearly if you have read; I owe you one!

~YFWE
YFWE

Svanire

Postby KiarasMate » December 26th, 2009, 5:30 am

lol, I think this is the best Christmas present I got this year. :) A new chapter to your amazing Fan Fic YFWE. ^^ Yes, it was a bit wordy, but it really did add a great deal to the plot and I'm sure it was completely necessary. ^^ This just keeps getting better and better and I really can't wait to read the next chapter whenever you have time to write and post it my friend. :) Keep up the brilliant work and hope you had a good Christmas buddy! Have a safe trip. (if you're traveling that is. lol. ^^)
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KM

Postby CheetahCat » December 26th, 2009, 9:40 am

Hehe, this was a great new chapter in your flawless Fan Fiction, Letters. ^^ The whole verbal scene was still a nice touch and I think it added a great deal to what you're trying to get across. I'm looking forward of seeing the action soon and when that happens, I bet it's going to be unforgettable! ^^ I really can't wait to read your next chapter my friend and I hope X-Mas for you was great and I'm happy to hear you're doing okay thus far in life. :)
CheetahCat
Tea Guzzler

Meow.

Nickname(s): TeenSimba, Si, TS
Pride Points: 9

Postby Kyarra06 » January 14th, 2010, 4:41 pm

This is REALLY good. I can't wait to read more. By the way, you're a great writer. :pretty:
I always fall so fast, so hard.
Again, I have fallen.
But for the first time ever,
I have been caught in the arms of a lover.
:heart: :teehee: :pretty:
Kyarra06

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I luuuuv Kiara!!!

Pride Points: 0

Postby Ushujaa » January 16th, 2010, 12:07 am

i didn't have time to read all 6 chapters right now seeing as my guests are arriving but i read the first to chapters and i love it... i'm hooked, your writing style is absolutley tremendous i can't wait to finish reading what you've posted so far as well as what i hope you'll post in the future!
Spoiler: show

thank you Flip for the community sig
Ushujaa
Dreamer

Don't heroes have the right to dream?

Nickname(s): Shujaa, Fluffy, Squishy, Kopa, Usher,Krypto
Pride Points: 24

Postby YFWE » April 28th, 2010, 8:57 am

Thanks for the feedback as always, everyone. Sorry this one took so long. I'm hoping it'll be updated much more quickly from here on out.

Wokovu: Kovu’s Journey
Chapter 7: Temptation

Days passed, though the sweltering conditions of the Serengeti did not let up even remotely. The drought that had troubled the plains had continued, with no signs of ceasing. What was more, Kovu had a feeling that they were merely getting lucky, having had bodies of water…small, but water all the same…that presented themselves throughout their journey.

But what worried Kovu was not the drought and the growing scarcity of water; rather, it was that, after many days of searching, still they had yet to find Jasusi. Granted, he had not exactly expected to catch up to her immediately, but all the same, paranoia had begun to creep in and Kovu wondered fleetingly if, just maybe, they were on the wrong path.

Surely that could not be so, though…Kovu continued to pound this ideal into his head. After all, they had been following the lioness’s scent the whole way. Koko had done the bulk of the tracking, but Kovu had even sniffed the ground a time or two to be sure they were still on her scent, and they definitely were…there was no mistaking Jasusi’s scent. What was more, Jasusi’s scent was still strong…she could not be more than a few days ahead, if even that.

And still Kovu was worried, due mainly to a decision he had made days prior. The first day, after Koko, Bidii and he had napped near the large rock edifice and Kovu had first experience the new (and now recurring) nightmare that now included Koko and Bidii, Kovu had come to a ”˜fork in the road’ of sorts. Jasusi’s scent had split; one trail continued to lead off deeper into the savanna, while the other had trailed off into a split in the large rock. The scent on the left had been stronger and so they had taken it, but it had still certainly caused Kovu some distress. He chalked it up, however, to Jasusi stopping for a short drink at the oasis that sat at the center of the split. After all, she had left alone…if she had gone down to find reinforcements, surely she would have left with them… right?

At least something had gone right, though…Kovu had, at long last, told Koko and Bidii of his plans and why he was following Jasusi. Although his dreams involving them had still not subsided by any means as a result, he certainly felt better for it, and had at least given them a chance to leave if they wanted. To his surprise (and, too, his delight), they had not decided to desert him…in fact, the prospect of helping appeared to be all the more enticing to the two young animals.

Kovu could not deny that this was slightly worrisome, nonetheless. Why were Koko and Bidii so eager to help him, so eager to stay by his side? Was it simply the fact that he was a lion and thus able to protect them? Not that Kovu minded…he enjoyed their company; if he were doing this alone, he would have gone insane eventually. He did wonder their reasons for being out on their own, as neither had even brought it up since they joined Kovu, but he certainly would not press the issue. Just as he had told them about his plight, perhaps in due time they would do the same.

The young lion sniffed long and low at the ground, his black mane falling over his eyes. Jasusi’s tracks were still there; Koko had done well. Kovu even reckoned they were making ground on the lioness; her scent seemed stronger and stronger each day. This gave Kovu an energized gait and only heightened his anticipation of catching the fleeing lioness, though he still had a tendency to let this hope become overwhelmed by pessimistic thoughts. At the very least, by that point there was a bit of a balance.

“Well, I think it’s awesome, Koko, I really do, don’t you? If that’s what they taught where you came from, I definitely wouldn’t mind stopping by and learning a thing or two, oh no, I wouldn’t, d’you think they’d mind, Koko? A little someone like me learnin’ from the greats? I don’t think they’d mind, d’you?”

And so begins the proverbial talking off of Koko’s ear, Kovu thought, chuckling quietly. Most morning’s started with this, Bidii finally becoming fully awake and settling into one of his moods during which if Kovu or Koko was able to get in so much as five words in, it was a personal triumph.

“Seeing as I’m a predator by nature and you’re more or less food to most…” Koko started.

“So you think they’d say yes? I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. That would be so exciting, learning from all the legends, just like you have, yeah, I would have so many great things to say to my family when I find them again! Oh wow, Koko, I can’t wait, it’ll be great!”

“What’re you two talking about anyway?” Kovu asked curiously, lowering his head so that he loomed directly above the small animals.

“Koko was just telling me an awesome story her elders told her when she was young, weren’t you, Koko? It was a great story, and…” started Bidii excitedly.

“It was just a story. Something they told the young before we went to bed,” interrupted Koko, shrugging. She had lost most of her stutter now when she was around Kovu, at least compared to her state when they first met. Kovu was glad that she seemed to be warming up to him; she seemed like an easily intimidated individual, so the less intimidating that made him sound, the better.

“Well, we probably still have a ways to walk. Why don’t you fill me in?” Kovu smiled warmly. Idle chatter to pass the time was nary a bad thing, and he was marginally interested in the teachings and culture of a species not his own. He had only lived among other lions, after all.

“W-well, okay,” started Koko, pausing then as if to think how to best start the story she was about to tell. “My kind can be a spiritual group, or at least the clan I come from can be. Much of what we believe is based on myths and past teachings of the mystics. I could go on for days about all of the different stories they told, b-but… well, the one that I was telling Bidii about, it’s about… spirit guardians.”

“Spirit guardians?” asked Kovu, intrigued. “I’ve never heard of anything like that.” And it was true; he had not. He had been taught of the Great Kings and how they watched over the Pride Lands, and had a weird feeling that Rafiki was somehow omnipresent, but he had never heard of anything along the lines of a spirit guardian.

Koko continued, “What we’ve been told is that every being in this land has a guardian that watches over them and protects them from bad decisions and from evil. Like… like our conscience.” She paused before continuing to explain. “Our guardian is always present, even if we can’t see it, and we are never without it. But there are times, it is said, that our guardians appear to us when we really need guidance.”

“Yeah, and tell him what you were thinking, Koko! Tell Kovu what you were thinking about the spirit guardians, and about Kovu! Oh, he’ll be so surprised, won’t he, won’t he? Please tell him!” Koko could barely contain his excitement.

“Yeah, tell me, Koko!” Kovu laughed, flashing an amicable grin at the small wild dog.

“Koko thinks maybe you’re our spirit guardian!” Bidii blurted out before Koko had a chance to answer.

“Does she now?” Kovu grinned warmly at the canine. Koko returned a slightly abashed grin and nodded.

“I said ”˜maybe.’ I just think… it’d be c-cool, you know? Like maybe it wasn’t an accident that we met you. Maybe there was a reason you decided not to eat us and let us follow you on this quest. Maybe it’s fate.”

Kovu chuckled as he continued to walk along. He was quite flattered that his newfound friends thought of him in such an alluring light, whether there was truth to Koko’s theory or not.

“Well, in that case, let’s say that I am.”

He paused for a moment, of course causing Koko and Bidii to stop in their tracks as well. Straightening his mane, Kovu sat back on his haunches and put on his most regal-like expression as he patted both animals…first Bidii, and then Koko, lingering upon her for a brief moment longer.

“Then by the power vested in me by the Great Kings of the Past, or whatever gods might be out there, I hereby reveal myself to be Koko and Bidii’s spirit guardian, and as such, I promise to protect them always and to defend them from all evil they might come across. I promise also to shut up Bidii if he ever gets too talkative for Koko’s liking.”

“And with that he patted both on the head again, and rather unceremoniously for that matter, grinning as he did so. “And for my first official act as your spirit guardian, I propose that we find some food. Any ideas?”

Koko reached a paw up to her crown as soon as Kovu’s own paw had left it, smoothing out the fur atop her head. She glanced around the arena that they had been treading across, which had transitioned from a barren savanna to what appeared to be a more fruitful area. At the very least, they would be able to find vegetation in the area, that much was for sure.

On the horizon, and to their left, stood a series of trees. Tall trees, at that, and quite plentiful. Koko squinted. There was something familiar about those trees, though she was at that point unaware of what that was exactly. She sensed that Kovu had followed her gaze and thus knew that visiting the forest was only imminent. Still, the feeling in the pit of her stomach, that there was something not quite right about this place, persisted.

“What about…” Kovu started.

“Hey, Kovu! What about over there? See those trees? I’ll bet there’s something over there! Things live in trees, don’t they?!” Bidii shouted, almost beside himself at having found something he deemed of use to them.

Kovu rolled his eyes. “Yes, Bidii, I see it. There’ll be water at the very least. What do you think, Koko?”

Koko, however, did not seem nearly as enticed about the idea. She squinted her eyes at the tree formation once more, an expression of doubt formed across her muzzle. It was clear that she had reason not to trust the place. “I don’t know,” she whispered. “Something doesn’t feel right. Maybe we s-should keep moving…”

Kovu grinned and pulled the small canine into an affable hug. “Aw, c’mon, Koko. Who knows when we’ll get another chance like this!”

“I thought you were worried about catching Jasusi.”

The lion’s face scrunched in slight frustration. “I…well…” He could not deny that Koko had a point. And yet, they had not eaten in so long. They would not be able to go on for much longer.

“It’ll just be a quick stop. We have Jasusi’s scent, after all; we just need to come right back out here. If we keep going, we’ll be unable to go on in a few days’ time.”

Feeling as if his reasoning was reason enough to convince Koko that a stop in the nearby jungle would not be adverse to their well-being and instead beneficial, Kovu turned toward the jungle and set off in its direction, Bidii in tow.

“Coming, Koko?”

Koko had remained rooted to the spot, still eying the large forest with an untrusting leer. Something did not feel right to her just looking at the place, though she could still not place a paw on what it was. Begrudgingly, she finally began to follow behind, her countenance sullen as she continued to stare forward, still untrusting of Kovu’s decision. She was hungry; that much was true. Their last meal had came two nights prior in the form of a few small bugs…revolting, of course, but Koko had become well accustomed to those sorts of meals since she left home.

And then it hit her.

“Guys. G-guys! I really can’t g-go in. I won’t!”

Kovu stopped again, sighing as he turned to face the wild dog. “What is it this time, Koko? We’re almost there now.”

Bidii’s attention, however, remained fixed upon the jungle. Something seemed to dawn on him, and he began to jump up and down excitedly, turning to his friend.

“Hey, Koko, see it? See that place? That’s where you grew up, isn’t it? It’s where we met and where your family lives! Remember it? Oh, wow, I thought it looked familiar. Isn’t this great, Koko? You can see your family again!”

xXxXxXx

Jasusi had not expected this.

A low flame burned near her, giving a tiny amount of light to the forest floor she stood upon. At the least, it was light enough for Jasusi to realize that she was surrounded on all sides, preventing an escape on her part. The lions that surrounded her, like silhouettes against the dark backdrop of the forest, occasionally glanced at her, speaking in low voices to one another. The sun was setting in the distance, though this was a bit difficult to view from their position deep in the forest, as the trees were so plenteous and voluminous that the sky was barely even visible among them.

“I must say,” spoke Jasusi, addressing any of the lions who might listen, “your pride doesn’t have the best customs when it comes to welcoming your guests. I’d have expected more… what’s the word… class from the Mwituni pride.”

“You are no guest, outsider,” grumbled one of the nearby lions, a burly male. “You are trespassing. You are lucky we have not killed you. Most are not as lucky.”

“Charming. Then, brother, why have you spared me if I am such an unruly, sinful trespasser?”

Through the darkness, Jasusi could see the lion look over at one of his acquaintances, give a firm nod, and turn to face Jasusi. The male padded toward her quietly, his paws making nary a sound on the soft forest floor, his acquaintance moving over slightly to fill the gap that had been left. Jasusi stood, holding her ground,staring forward as the lion came into full view for the first time. He was a pale being, though his fur seemed considerably darker due to the dim conditions. A light brown mane rippled idly as he walked.

But what Jasusi found to be most interesting were the foreign markings that dotted the lion’s fur. Brown, green, yellow, black…they covered the lion’s body in a pattern of swirls and symbols. Jasusi had heard of war paint being especially persistent in certain prides. She hoped that this was not one of those prides; war was certainly not on her agenda…at least not just yet, anyway.

Continuing until he was not even a paw’s length from Jasusi’s muzzle, the lion sent her a cold sneer. “If it were my decision,” he said as he began to slowly pace circles around the lioness, keeping his head close to hers in truly intimidating fashion, “you’d be dead already. However, if you are who you claim to be, it would not be in my best interest to kill you, trespasser or not.”

“Wise move,” retorted the lioness.

“But,” the lion continued, “should your story prove to be false,” he lowered his muzzle so that it was directly against Jasusi’s ears, his final words whispered so that the lions surrounding them would need to strain to her them, “I shall take great pleasure in murdering you in front of the entire pride.”

“Luteni!”

The lion jerked around, backing away from Jasusi.

“That’s enough. I shall deal with her.”

A new lion-like figure had appeared at the outside of the circle of lions. Its silhouette was even darker against the flickering flames that flitted around the forest ground. An opening was created in the crowd so that the lion could step through. Jasusi, squinting, noticed a large headdress of various treasures atop the lion’s head, along with the familiar multi-colored pastes that covered his body. A jet black mane flowered regally beneath the headdress and against an equally dark pelt.

The lion known as Luteni stole a begrudged glance at Jasusi before retreating back to the outside of the circle. Once there, he slowly ran a claw against his throat once he caught Jasusi’s eye once more, a fang-bearing grin splayed across his muzzle.

Jasusi felt the new lion’s gaze resting upon her, his emerald eyes seeming to glow in the dark as they bore into her. Fleetingly she felt like cowering, of showing complete and total fear and subservience to the lion in hopes of being spared from a possible, untimely death. But she stood firm. If she was to satisfy any of her own interests, it was the least she could do.

“State your name,” said the lion in a deep voice.

“Jasusi.”

“What is your business here, Jasusi?”

“To gather support for a cause.”

The lion studied her for a few moments. His gaze did not waver, his expression static as his eyes burned holes through the lioness. Finally he spoke, “My name is Dhambi. You are in the land of the Mwituni.” He nodded curtly. “I hope you are aware that the punishment for trespassing within our bounds is often death. Are you carrying a cub at this time?”

Jasusi shook her head. “I come alone.”

“Pity. Saying yes would have no doubt spared you.”

Jasusi could feel Dhambi’s leer continuing to go over nearly every facet of her body, as if he was a hungry cub sitting before the first wildebeest kill he would ever devour. It was at that point that Jasusi had a feeling that, regardless of whether or not she was able to convince the lion to lead his pride into battle against Simba, she would not be killed. The look in Dhambi’s eye told her all she needed to know.

“You claim you are a friend of Zira,” continued Dhambi. “I do not recall her mentioning you. Tell me, how is she?” He licked his lips at the memory of the elder lioness.

“Oh, she’s fine, just lying in the bottom of a gorge dead,” growled Jasusi.

Dhambi’s eyes widened. “Zira… dead?”

“This is why I came to see you, my good lion. Zira left her dream, her vengeance in my paws. She instructed me to find help and to return to take the Pride Lands. She had spoken highly of you in the past, so I came to humbly ask for the help of your pride,” Jasusi took a cautious step toward the lion.

Dhambi continued to run his eyes across Jasusi’s slender frame. “Yes? And what would be in it for the Mwituni, hm?”

Sensing that an opportunity had finally begun to present itself, Jasusi sauntered forward, rubbing devilishly close to Dhambi as she encircled him. “I know that you know of the prestige of the Pride Lands, Dhambi.” Her tail blithely brushed against his pelt. “And… well, if I am to be Queen when we succeed… I will need a King…”

The lion’s cheeks flushed, though it was unnoticeable in the dimly light opening of the forest. Jasusi brushed against Dhambi once more, pausing briefly to check the heart rate of the lion, which to her pleasure, had quickened.

“I will…” Dhambi began, seeming to fumble over his words, “I will h-help you, my sweet. But first,” he glanced down at Jasusi, a ravenous glint in his eye, “I require… proof that you are true to your word. Do you understand?”

Jasusi smiled sweetly, though internally she protested her morals. The things I do for you, Zira, she cursed herself before complying with the old lion’s request. “Ah, yes. Show me, Dhambi, you beast, you. Show me what I have to look forward to.

With a loud roar, Dhambi demanded that a path be cleared for the two lions as he stepped forward, beckoning for Jasusi to follow him deeper into the forest. Jasusi complied without hesitation, a bit annoyed at the terms of their help and what it would entail. Regardless, it appeared as if she had added a second pride to her ranks. She could return to the Matapeli and then to the Pride Lands very soon.

As Dhambi and Jasusi passed Luteni, the lioness sent a haughty sneer at the lion, as if to mock him for the turn of events that had unfolded. Luteni glared back, his fangs gritted against one another as he watched the lion and lioness amble off into the night.

He had never appreciated Dhambi’s rule, but this was simply unbearable. Something would have to be done.

END CHAPTER
YFWE

Svanire

Postby KiarasMate » April 28th, 2010, 9:47 am

Damn you and your cliffhanging chapters YFWE! lol. :)

*composes himself*

Well, as was expected buddy, this was nothing short of spectacular. :) Both parts of the chapter really added a lot to the overall storyline and also raised more questions, which I'm sure was your evil intention. lol. :) I'm really eager to know why Koko doesn't want to revisit her home and what is going to befall upon Kovu and Bidii for doing so. I'm also wondering how things will turn out for Jasusi, as it seems as though she's made another enemy in the form of Luteni. lol. That's just my guess though.

I'd really like to comment on the war paint and ways of the Mwituni. I really thought that you put a lot of detail into that and it really does set this pride apart from your everyday run of the mill pride. Way to add another level of character to your, erm, characters. lol. ^^ Definitely wasn't expecting something like that and it'll be interesting if you decide to give a little more detail into how/why the Mwituni pride do what they do. :)

Well, aside from that, your writing is just as enjoyable as always YFWE and it was most certainly well worth the wait to read this chapter. :) Too bad it seemed as though it was over before it even began but that's the sign of good storytelling in my eyes. I really hope you will get another chapter done sooner than later and you know I'll always be looking forward to reading anything you write buddy. Keep up the flawless work YFWE! ^^

*goes off to spy on Dhambi and Jasusi now*
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Nickname(s): KM

Postby divsalley » April 29th, 2010, 12:15 am

This is just GREAT!!! Waiting for the next chapter!!!
divsalley

Remember who you are!

Pride Points: 1

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Fictions