What's Meant To Be (Mheetu's Story)

Re: What's Meant To Be (Mheetu's Story)

Postby Kassam » June 28th, 2012, 2:29 am

I just wanted to say that I really liked the story so far. Please keep it coming.
"Mesonoxian? What does that mean?""Use Google lol"
Kassam
A Magician

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sorta...

Pride Points: 3

Postby Zoketi » June 28th, 2012, 5:57 pm

thanks! c: Currently I'm working on updating some of the first chapters. But I should be posting the next chapter in a few days!
Zoketi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

yeehaw

Nickname(s): Zoki, Zozo
Pride Points: 28

Postby TLK+Warriors Fan » June 29th, 2012, 12:44 am

I'm still in love with your writing piece!
TLK+Warriors Fan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby Zoketi » July 4th, 2012, 3:43 pm

thank you ;3
Zoketi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

yeehaw

Postby TLK+Warriors Fan » July 5th, 2012, 8:28 pm

No problem =^.^=
TLK+Warriors Fan

Pride Points: 1

Postby MrTitans » August 14th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Do not think we have forgotten your amazing story I continue to read it time to time to remember how deep it is.

Avatar: made by Shadow my mother<3 Siggy by Regulus, Jirani, Shadowfax, KristinaKiara and DatLioness.
MrTitans
Nalas true mate

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I still Want Nala

Nickname(s): GearsofWar, Gears, Mio
Pride Points: 19

Postby Zoketi » August 18th, 2012, 1:37 am

Thank you! I'm sorry for the lack of posting more but I've been going through a rough time in real life and my muse has vanished. I hope to get this going again soon, though.
Zoketi

yeehaw

Postby Zoketi » November 2nd, 2012, 4:27 am

The wait is over!!!!! With the return of the my internet, I shall be back and writing normally again! Yaay! :D

Chapter 20:
My, How You’ve Grown

"Come along, Mheetu."

Asubuhi's voice drifted back to Mheetu's flicking ears. His tone sounded half-anxious, half-excited, but there was an overall tense ring to it. As if it scared him, what they were doing. Mheetu guessed they really did have a reason to be fearful, because approaching the Pridelands in these times could be very dangerous. But they were willing to risk it. Hadn't his father always been? Mheetu had finally discovered where Asubuhi had often disappeared to: visiting his mate, Sarafina, the lioness who had supposedly birthed Mheetu.

That was exactly what they were doing. This time, of course, Mheetu was coming along. He wasn't quite sure what to think. Should he be excited, or calm, or scared? He certainly wasn't calm right now. He felt tense enough to be spooked by a butterfly. What would his mother be like? Would she love him, after abandoning him all that time ago? Would he have any siblings? He couldn't help a small flick of his tail, a jolt of thrill shivering down the length of his spine.

The two lions were padding quietly through the grass, nearing the rock wall that separated the Meadowlands from the dry place known as the Outlands. The grass rustled gently as they moved along, brushing Mheetu’s fur and making him toss his head. It reminded him of the soothing licks Uchawi would give him when he was younger. Would his real mother, Sarafina, have done the same?

Mheetu could hardly concentrate on where he was putting his paws. He was too befuddled and apprehensive. Nerves twisted in his gut, nerves of excitement and fear churning into one mix of emotions. He wasn’t aware of his surroundings, of the numerous glances his father was shooting his way, or of the constant changes in direction they made.

That continued until Asubuhi made a sharp turn to the right, so sudden that Mheetu was surprised right out of his thoughts and slammed his paws hard into the ground to stop. He glanced apologetically at his father, who had paused and looked his way in puzzlement. Mheetu shook his head, feeling the tuft of mane flop around his neck. Would his mother recognize him, even? He was very close to adulthood now. He suppressed a sigh and set his paws on the correct path after his father.

Asubuhi seemed to sense Mheetu’s troubles. The light-furred lion turned his bright blue eyes on his son. Mheetu’s ears twitched under the gaze, but he didn’t say anything, letting his father attempt a conversation if he so wished. He noticed that Asubuhi looked almost tense himself, as if worried his cub might turn around and leave him. Mheetu felt a twinge of concern as he realized how Asubuhi must be feeling--having to give his son such shocking news, and be so worried that he wouldn’t take it the right way.

“Are you alright?” Asubuhi murmured. His voice held no betrayal as to the tension displayed in his body language.

“I-I think so.” Mheetu envied his father’s ability to keep his voice steady in times like these. He swallowed, and then continued to pad forwards. Asubuhi didn’t respond, but his tail flicked lightly over Mheetu’s shoulders.

They were nearing the rocky border now. Mheetu could see little lizards scurrying over the boulders, and numerous birds perched on the stony slopes. He could even spot the bright grey rock that had been rolled over to cover the entrance to the tunnels. A twinge of nostalgia ran through him, and he suppressed a faint smile.

Mheetu stumbled slightly over a small rock, so he returned his attention to his moving. The land began to slope upwards at a very small increase, and the stone wall drew ever closer. It wasn’t long before Mheetu and Asubuhi were weaving through a jumble of smallish rocks, until finally having to start climbing over them. The incline seemed less severe as it had before, and Mheetu remembered how much he had grown since last being near these rocks. He and his father reached the peak quickly, hardly out of breath. Mheetu gripped the round stone he was on with all four paws; it was balanced rather precariously.

Mheetu gazed out at the landscape spread before him. He had been to the top of the rock wall only once before, when Filimbi had taken all the cubs on a tour of the borders. He hadn’t paid much attention then--Nzuri had been continually chasing the others around and being a very good distraction. But he had been able to glimpse the spreading terrain below. Now, the Pridelands were as dull and grey as they had always been in his memory, if not greyer. He had heard that their issues were the fault of their king, the mad lion who had attacked Mheetu. Few creatures lived in the barren wasteland now, even the bordering lands--including the Meadowlands--were in slight prey shortages due to their uninhabitable neighbor land. Thankfully, it wasn’t so much as to be a serious threat to the Meadowlanders’ survival.

Mheetu let out a soft breath as his gaze swept from the dull landscape of the Pridelands to the orange wasteland of the Outlands. As far as Mheetu knew, the Outlands had always been a desolate place. Hardly any prey, plenty of termites, and only scraggly trees and stunted bushes made up the vegetation. Mheetu could easily see why few lions lived there—only starving loners too weak to go anywhere else or vicious, tough rogues.

Asubuhi beckoned with his tail and Mheetu’s ears flew forward. He awkwardly jumped off his stone and followed his father as they descended down the opposite side to the dusty grass of the Pridelands. Mheetu continually tripped and stumbled as he went, deciding that downhill was much harder. He was relieved to land on the packed earth, as dry and unwelcoming as it was. He sniffed softly at the Pridelands ground, but it smelled like dead grass and soil. Not that he expected anything else, really. The last time he had been in Pridelander territory was when he and Kitawi had gone after Ngoma…but that was hardly a sightseeing trip.

He suppressed the darker thoughts and trotted to catch up with his father, disliking the touch of the grass swishing by his legs. He was used to soft, if slightly scratchy stalks waving gently near his sides, not the dry drooping blades that scoured his paws. He snorted out a quiet breath and twitched his ears up, remembering he was in dangerous land.

“Sarafina will be around here somewhere.” he heard Asubuhi murmur, and his stomach clenched nervously. His father had assured him that she would not hate him, but he couldn’t help but hold tension for their meeting. He still hardly believed it--living his whole life in the Meadowlands—did he really come from this unfamiliar place?

“Asubuhi?”

The two lions both started at the voice, and Mheetu instinctively crouched down in the grass, his green-blue eyes wide. Had they been spotted? None of their enemies knew his father’s name; that couldn’t be it. Was it one of the Meadowlanders? Had they followed him and Mheetu? They, of course, knew about Asubuhi’s visits to his mate, so that was nothing to fear. But Mheetu didn’t recognize the voice. He couldn’t see the speaker through the walls of tall grass, hidden as he was. Oh no--it must be--

“Sarafina!” Asubuhi’s rumble was pure joy.

Mheetu inhaled a swift breath. Oh Great Kings. Slowly, carefully, he rose up and out of the cover of the grass. His father had loped ahead, past a jumble of scraggly bushes, and was touching noses with someone. Mheetu swallowed, and then slowly padded towards them. His heart was beating wildly; filled with a mixture of excitement, apprehension, and curiosity. He moved out from behind Asubuhi and lay eyes on his mother.

She was a pretty lioness. That was his first impression. Her fur was light and creamy, although faintly dusted. She had a smooth, rounded shape--the build Mheetu had inherited--and her eyes were precisely the color of his own. The resemblance shocked him. A moment later he noticed her skinniness; despite the curved, thick build she was very thin--hunger-thin, not normal-thin. She seemed gaunt, and her eyes held a look of permanent depression. Like someone who had lost hope.

All this while Sarafina had been studying him; he could her eyes tracing his budding mane and taking in every aspect of his face. For a still second they simply looked, and then Sarafina broke the water’s surface by rushing to her son and greeting him as a mother would when she had not seen her child for many seasons.

Mheetu staggered back under Sarafina’s weight, slightly startled. “My son, my child!” The lioness was crooning, and Mheetu felt a tongue rasp across his cheek and nose. It was the same thing Uchawi had done many times, and maybe it was that that calmed him. He relaxed and pushed his head into Sarafina’s chest, submitting to her excited attack.

“Mother.” He whispered into her fur, feeling tears sting the corners of his eyes. Mother. And to think he had been scared.

He finally pulled away and looked the lioness in her face. “Mother…” he repeated, searching her eyes. A smile graced her muzzle and both blue-green orbs glowed.

“How I’ve missed you, my son.” Sarafina meowed. She glanced to Asubuhi, who had been quiet during the reunion. “You look just like your father.” She added, pride sparkling in her gaze. That drew a faint smile from her mate, and he let out a soft rumble of amusement.

Mheetu smiled too. He looked back at his father, and then too his mother, and was surprised by the love expressed in each lion’s gaze. How glad he was to have such devoted parents. A sudden thought of Hatari flashed in his mind, but he pushed it away. He was where he belonged now...between his true mother and father, caught in both their love. He closed his eyes and rested his head on Sarafina, delighted by the comfort of his real mother. Not that he hadn't liked Uchawi. Oh no, she who had raised him and loved him like her own--he wouldn't forget the debt.

A sudden question came to his mind. "Mother, do I have any siblings?" He lifted his head and blinked up at her, not sure whether he wanted a yes or a no for an answer.

Sarafina returned his gaze. "Yes. A sister," she mewed, "named Nala."

Mheetu's eyes widened. "What is she like? How old is she?" The normally quiet young lion burst out with questions. "Does she know of me?" He was burning to know. His own sister! He wondered if she would be different from having a brother--Kishindo had been fun--but they had argued constantly.

His mother smiled warmly. "She's very determined, and smart, and gentle too. And she's only a bit older than you, maybe eight or so months." Sarafina replied, describing her daughter with ease and delight. Her expression darkened as she continued. "I don't think she knows...I lied to protect you...and haven't yet told her you live." Mheetu could see how she struggled with her words, as if guilty over her choices. He felt a twinge of irritation, and felt slightly sorry for Nala. She would discover she had been lied to as well. The irony.

"Sarafina." Asubuhi broke in with a warning. "There are hyenas nearby." He said it so calmly, Mheetu didn't react at first. Sarafina leapt up, startled, breaking the contact.

"Mheetu, go well, my son." She looked once into his eyes, full of love and grief, then a moment later she was gone, haring away across the dry savannah. Mheetu watched her go, amazed by her sudden and hasty retreat, until he scented the air and caught the canine smell of hyena. Asubuhi's tail whisked across his shoulder and he stood too, and followed the pale shape of his father back to the rocks.

They went scrambling up, urgent to get to the safety of the Meadowlands. Although the scent had been distant, Mheetu knew hyenas could travel quickly if needed. The two made it over the border in a matter of minutes, and Mheetu was quite relieved to feel the soft dirt of the Meadowlands beneath his paws. He sniffed the grass, glad for the lush stalks rather than the dry sprouts of the Pridelands.

Quickly, he loped after Asubuhi and continued onto his current home, pleased with the outcomes of the day. Someday, he'd meet his sister too. And someday, he told himself, he would go home.
Zoketi

yeehaw

Postby MrTitans » November 2nd, 2012, 4:49 am

Amazing I missed this story glad everything is good

Avatar: made by Shadow my mother<3 Siggy by Regulus, Jirani, Shadowfax, KristinaKiara and DatLioness.
MrTitans
Nalas true mate

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I still Want Nala

Nickname(s): GearsofWar, Gears, Mio
Pride Points: 19

Postby Zoketi » November 5th, 2012, 3:13 pm

thanks! c:
Zoketi

yeehaw

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Fictions