Just a simple short story I dun wrote

Just a simple short story I dun wrote

Postby FlipMode » September 4th, 2012, 1:00 pm

V Author Note, lol.
Spoiler: show
No name at all, I just cooked this up in little time. It is based on a dream I had, and as such it is very minimalistic in detail (also yes, the lack of spoken words was a choice by me, there were none in the dream I had and I thought it would be an interesting way of telling a story). I said I would still be around if I had something to share, and I guess this is "shareable". I checked the quality on it, it did not at all meet my standard but I am posting it anyway so read it and weep etc.

I think about her a lot still, you know. I miss the way her fur felt as it slipped through my paws, like the softest of sweet silks. She was the only one who understood me.

Ever since I was a young cub, as far back as I can remember at least; I thought a lot about, well just about everything really. Why did the lioness who claimed who had adopted me into her outlands want revenge so much? Why does anyone ever want to be a leader, just so their followers can live a happy life by fulfilling their only one single goal in life (allowing the leader of the pride to be your master, as it were). Do they not realise that they have their own lives to live? Both the outsiders and the Pride Landers, look up to their masters without question (Zira and King Simba respectively), only when I questioned Zira’s leadership did I learn why that is.

I now roam the lands alone, cast away from both prides. Even though the out landers were referred to as outsiders sometimes, there was only one true outsider at this time, and that seemed to be me. I remain banished from both of the main lands. Banished by Zira for questioning her, and by Simba for being born into her pride. I am in a state of comatose, twilight even. Neither truly alive, nor truly dead.

And quite frankly, I have always been pretty happy for this. The lives of others just complicated my own, ever though I had experienced true love before, the memories of that love continue to haunt me. I don’t know if I will ever meet her again, but I do know that I know what true love feels like, all other incarnations of love, Scar and Zira, Simba and Nala... It always seemed artificial to me. Zira saw this a weakness in me from the very beginning and began to look for a new “chosen one”, even when I tried to explain myself to her; she wasn’t exactly the forgiving type.

Now I hunt my own food and live my own life. But lately I have been thinking; surely there is more out there for introverted lions like me. I feel that life is slowly slipping by, and the memories that swirl in my head are preventing me from truly moving on. I often sat here in the savannahs watching the water flow through the river as I thought to myself about the future, but my two remaining friends (I thought of them as acquaintances) often reminded me that nothing would change unless I would learn to put the past behind me and go chase what it is I wanted.

I am a simple lion by most standards, I don’t feel jealously like most, but all I want is a simple life, one lived with someone just like her; a pride of my own and a life more exciting than the one I lived. I have learned that, no matter how much we may think otherwise, we do need to be in communication with other people in order to progress ourselves.

My next hunt was planned, it would be just outside the pridelands, where some of the most elegant lionesses you would ever see would pounce gracefully through the air, claws raised to attack their pray. Surely there must be others out there who think the same way I do; but I will never meet them unless I go looking for them in likely places.

Picking myself up, and moving away from the beautiful sounds of nature, into the scarce scenery of the Pride Lands hunting grounds was challenging in itself. Gone were the waterfalls, the river and the lush colourful surroundings, replaced with only two; the bright green blades of grass that brushed one another in the cool breeze and a bright blue sky. I found a whole new world by following my dreams, it seemed.

But no matter, I had the imagination and the ability to go out and chase my dreams, that is what has led me here and what has guided me my entire life. See some think that worshipping their “king” or whoever their chosen leader may be is what has allowed them to live, but I think differently, I feel that life is simply a series of decisions, what makes them happen is whether we believe heavily enough in what we are doing. And boy, did I believe in what I was doing.

Then, there she was. She sprang out of the golden sun, I watcher gliding over me, landing on her pray which was some distance away. Everything about the way she moved and that soft silky fur flowing in the wind reminded me of her, because it was her. She had left the Outlands at the same time I was cast out, losing two capable hunters had put a significant dent in Zira’s plans of vengeance and in my plans of living my own life.

I stepped back in disbelief, not knowing where I truly was, and falling backwards into a the same pit that had been the resting place of King Mufasa. Yet as I feel back, she rushed to the edge of the gorge, investigating the noise and who as there. I continue to fall, looking into her eyes as I do, for a brief second she seems to recognise me, throwing a smile at her I close my eyes and accept my fate. It may have been a shot life, but I know one thing; I lived it to the fullest and really that is all I could have asked for.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Re: Just a simple short story I dun wrote

Postby Azdgari » September 4th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Well, the first thing I thought was, "Umm, how would a lion know what silk feels like? Can they weave without opposable thumbs? " But moving on... =P

I think what's strong about this is the tone. It reads like something very personal, a recounting of one's life in a matter-of-fact sort of way. The lack of detail and sort of capricious movement through the life events of this lion add to the feel: form complementing substance. I like how unique this is, I can honestly say it's the first TLK fic of this sort that I've come across, and I've read lots of fanfiction. So well done, Fip!

The subject matter confuses me a bit, though, and I think it might have to do with tense stuff.

[quote]Now I hunt my own food and live my own life... [/quote]
This paragraph makes it seem like, in the present, he is feeling that he wants more out of life and he's taking time thinking about that and thinking about getting out and doing things. But then, you move on with events, suggesting that the above paragraph was in fact in the past. I got mixed up at the conclusion because he ends up completely satisfied with his life, not at all unsure as he was above. Get what I'm saying? That one paragraph that's in present tense when it's actually in the past throws things off. :3
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby Tacobell Lion » September 4th, 2012, 11:14 pm

:cry: (sniff) That was beautiful. Anyways,lol, this was a really strong and depressing story.
I really like it, but I have a question, is the lion a male or female? I'm not sure if it said it or if that's the point of not saying it.:p

Anyways it was awesome! :) Really sad at the end. :cry:
Tacobell Lion
Gucci Mane

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Can YOU feel the love tonight?

Nickname(s): Lion(no joke)
Pride Points: 9

Postby Azdgari » September 4th, 2012, 11:16 pm

Mmm, I'll be honest, the ending kinda threw me off. Seemed random and didn't sit quite right for me. Whatever floats your boat, though. Sounds like Tacobell liked it.
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Postby Tacobell Lion » September 4th, 2012, 11:41 pm

I did :) .

[quote="Azdgari"]Mmm, I'll be honest, the ending kinda threw me off. Seemed random and didn't sit quite right for me. it.[/quote]
As much as I liked it, I do kinda agree with Azdgari here. The ending was pretty random and it definitely threw me off.
Tacobell Lion
Gucci Mane

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FlipMode » September 5th, 2012, 12:20 am

Oh look, posts.

[quote="Tacobell Lion"]:cry: (sniff) That was beautiful. Anyways,lol, this was a really strong and depressing story.
I really like it, but I have a question, is the lion a male or female? I'm not sure if it said it or if that's the point of not saying it.:p
[/quote]

Well I always thought male lions were simply known as "lions" and the females "lionesses", I mentioned in the story at least once that he is a lion which I had thought was the indicator that he was male.... And the fact the character was in love with a lioness, unless of course I had made a bi-sexual TLK character... Vivid my imagination may be sometimes, even I had not ever thought about that =D

Yeah thanks for the feedback guys, and Az I completely agree. Unfortunately I didn't have time to focus on polishing this, or build up to the ending, I get what you are saying that it seemed random, because to be honest it was... Was really looking for a way to quickly rap it up and I thought that it would help push the message (pursuing dreams to death, as it were). Not to mention I was in a bummer of a mood when I wrote that and more often than not my mood tends to be reflected in my writing. I was going to have them re communicate and progress further, but honestly I ran out of free time and didn't really want to come back to it again (AKA, lazy)

But, more than anything it was a way for me to experiment with this way of telling the story where it is told from the character perspective (if you have ever read The Hunger Games, its a little like that) but I also didn't want speech since I was trying to see if a good story can be told without speech (I believe it can), not sure if I really achieved much with this shot, but if nothing else I am glad it was unique at least.

And the thing about silks you mentioned, I am glad you caught that actually. Indeed, this was not originally going to be a TLK fanfiction, it was going to be an OT human based story, but then I figured no one reads OT fictions here so tried to change that. I often do that when writing TLK stories though, since the lions can speak I often bring other human traits into it =D know I shouldn't but yeah...

And as for tenses, well you read quite a lot (if not all) of the stories I have wrote and.... 8 times out of 10 the issue of tense is bought up. As mentioned already, this is just a short and somewhat rushed series so it does not surprise me that I managed to mess up on tenses yet again XD
Sooo basically,...

Again, thanks for the feedback though. This was a good little warm up for my English course I am starting up soon and I will be sure to remember the feedback, particularly the point about keeping to the tense of the story (which in this case would be past, but I switch to present for some reason or another o.0)
FlipMode

Postby Azdgari » September 5th, 2012, 2:12 am

Make us proud in that English class. <3
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Postby Tacobell Lion » September 5th, 2012, 3:02 am

Your an awesome and very talented writer. I hope u make more stories on fan-fictions. I would love to read them!
Tacobell Lion
Gucci Mane

Postby FlipMode » September 6th, 2012, 10:59 pm

[quote="Azdgari"]Make us proud in that English class. <3[/quote]

Will did!

[quote="Tacobell Lion"]Your an awesome and very talented writer. I hope u make more stories on fan-fictions. I would love to read them![/quote]

I have wrote quite a few over my years on here, you could go back and look them up if you like. I will almost certainly write more too, I just at this point only really write something if I have a fresh idea and since I am not the creative type (I wish I could change that about myself) it is pretty occasional. But thanks once again!
FlipMode

Return to Fan Fictions