Another Me: Kiara's Journey

Postby Chizuna » July 20th, 2013, 4:26 am

Description: Kiara is not getting along with her parents, much like any other teenager. What's new? However, when she gets the chance to go back to the past to figure out what screwed her father up so much, she eagerly goes back to before Scar's reign to search for clues. Unfortunately for her, it's not her parents that need saving. Just because she knows the basics of the story doesn't mean that she can escape the inevitable tragedy. Can Kiara survive being swept up in the past or will she lose herself in the process?

Chapter One

OoO

“Blah.”

“Blah.”

“Blah, blah, blah…Blahblahbla..?”

Being able to tune out another person’s voice is a great skill to have. It allows you to keep yourself calm and it allows your mind to focus on more important things instead of listening to someone waste your life by ranting for thirty minutes.

Nobody had this skill down to an exact art better than Princess Kiara of the Pride Lands. Growing up, she had broken so many of her father’s rules that she knew exactly what he was going to say before he even formed the syllables on the tip of his tongue.

Today, as she sat on the edge of Pride Rock, she at least had the excuse of having a great view distracting her than just flat out ignoring her dad. It was like the stretch upon stretch of plains was calling out for her to frolic amongst them. The mystery of the land beyond the borders of the kingdom brought a semi-smile on Kiara’s mussle as she daydreamed of running around without a care in the world.

“Kiara, are you even listening to me?”

Another thing Kiara learned was that if her name was ever vocalized by her father or anyone that she was ignoring, she had to give some sort of ‘yes’ as a response no matter what.

Still halfway between fantasy and reality, she replied with a, “Hmm? Yeah…sure, yea…” However, when she caught her father’s stern look, she quickly backtracked and gave a nervous laugh. “I-I mean, yes sir! Eheheh…”

Simba’s frown deepened, a familiar look he wore whenever Kiara was concerned. “What has gotten into you lately? Is everything I say to you a joke now?”

Oh, of course not, Daddy! If having a warthog and meerkat following me around everywhere I go isn’t a joke; then nothing is. “No…” the princess replied as neutrally as possible, resisting the urge to shrug her shoulders. “But…”

“But what, Kiara? It’s like we keep going through this same circle over and over again,” Her father exclaimed out of frustration. “You keep skipping out on your lessons and you’ve ran away from home so many times that I can’t even keep count anymore. It’s like I don’t even know you anymore!”

A twinge of annoyance crossed Kiara’s features. Why did he always have to talk to her like that? It wasn’t like she didn’t try to make him understand that she didn’t like her lessons on being a Queen. She told him plenty of times but he would just blow her off.

"It’s embarrassing having them follow me around all the time, Daddy!” the honey furred lioness complained. “I’m almost an adult, I can do and think for myself now! I’m not some little cub you need to babysit all the time.”

“You may think that you’re old enough to take on the world but you’re sadly mistaken,” Simba threw back at her harshly. “Kiara, you have no idea what it’s like out there on your own. There are lionesses out there around your age that have to struggle every day without the help of a pride, much less their family. Can you honestly tell me that you can look after yourself?”

“If you gave me the chance!” the princess argued, raising her voice. “You don’t ever ask what I want to do or who I want to be! I’m not this obedient little doll that’s going to do whatever you say, Dad.”

Noticing the hurt on Kiara’s face, Simba sighed wearily, “I’m not saying that you have to be. All I’m saying is that you have to recognize how good you have it here. Your mother and I have struggled to get to where we are now to give you a good life. I don’t want you to have to go through what I went through.”

“It’s just not fair!” Kiara stomped her paw on the ground, still very angry and determined to hurt her dad in the way he hurt her. “It’s my life and I just want to live it the way I want to! I never asked to be born here and I never asked for you to take care of me! You want to know why I run away? It’s because all of your stupid rules and traditions are driving me crazy!”

“It’s because I’m your father that I even allow you to live here!” Simba finally exploded, getting into her face. “You will learn to show respect for me, young lady and you will not be leaving Pride Rock until I see some real improvement! I cannot and I will not have you acting like some spoiled brat!”

“You may be my father but you can’t tell me what to do!!” Kiara screamed at the top of her lungs to silence him.

She felt her face burn with such anger and hurt that tears instantly sprung to her eyes. With a sob, Kiara sprinted away from her father as quickly as she could. The teenaged lioness was so distressed that she didn’t realize or care that she had passed her mother on her way down the ramp of Pride Rock.

As Nala climbed her way up to the promontory, she watched Kiara run off with no small amount of confusion on her face. She turned to Simba, “So, do you think that solved anything?”

“Don’t start, I’m not in the mood,” he said impatiently.

The light beige colored lioness arched an eyebrow, ignoring him. “I think you owe me an explanation about what’s been going on here. It’s like I can’t leave you two alone for a minute without Kiara running away in tears.”

Simba let his shoulder sag a little, giving another sigh in reluctance. He wasn’t going to start another fight, especially with Nala. It wasn’t fair on her.

“I just don’t know what to do with her. I try being strict with her, I try grounding her and I even try to let her have a day without Timon or Pumbaa but nothing seems to be working. It‘s like everything I say or do makes me some sort of devil in her eyes. ”

“It’s like that with most teenagers, Simba,” his mate replied calmly. “Don’t tell me that you, Mr. ’I laugh in the face of danger’ has never broke a few rules.”

“Yeah, well, it’s a little different when you live the life of Hakuna Matata. Timon and Pumbaa, remember?”

“How could I forget?” Nala replied teasingly. “Even still, you have to accept that your little girl’s growing up. She’s going to want to rage against everything and anything because she wants to find her own path in life. Just be glad she wants to explore the Pride Lands and not becoming boy crazy yet.”

Simba frowned deeply, “I know, I know…but I don’t want to let go of her just yet. She’s a good girl. I can just see someone using it against her and getting her in big trouble. I don’t want her to go through what I went through.”

Nala watched her mate’s eyes give off a familiar distant look in them. It wasn’t always noticeable and over the years, Simba had been able to hide it well behind a smile but she knew better than anyone else. At times, it was like Simba had still been haunted by the remnants of the past and she couldn’t imagine what kind of things he had experienced when he was missing from the Pride lands years ago.

She laid her head on his shoulder, her own way of showing reassurance towards him and she soon found him relaxing. They sat there for a few moments, quietly. Eventually Nala whispered, “You know we’re not going anywhere, right? We haven’t seen the Outsiders in a few seasons, maybe they’ve moved on. Don’t you think that you should move on, too?”

Simba made no move to speak and continued on in his own little world with the same thoughtful look on his face. “Maybe you’re right…I’ve wound myself up a little too much lately.” He closed his eyes, “My father would have wanted me to move on. Heh, maybe I should get Rafiki to hit me upside the head again, seems I’ve almost forgotten his lesson.”

“Wait, hold on. You’re comparing me to the monkey?” Nala interjected, trying to throw some humor into the heavy conversation they were having.

Luckily for her, it made Simba give a mischievous smile. “Not at all, but since you brought it up---”

The Queen gave him a not so gentle yet playful shove making him stumble a little, “Watch it! I’m still not happy with you making our daughter cry, you’re still on my bad list. So, what are you going to do to fix it?”

“Hmm…Hmm, I dunno,” Simba wracked his brains. His eyes then lit up in a playful way. “How about we let her hunt on her own? You can be her own personal trainer and everything. Go girl power!”

“Seriously?”

“Well, she’s been begging us forever to let her do it and she’ll be so tired by the time you get through with her that she won’t have anything else to complain about. It’s a win-win situation. That is, unless you’re afraid that you can’t handle it.”

Nala rolled her eyes, “Oh, don’t you worry about me, I can handle it. It’s just…are you sure you can handle this? After all, this is a huge stepping stone for all of us. I just don’t want you to back out of it.”

“Like you said, our little girl’s growing up.” Simba replied simply. He put his paw up playfully, “I swear, no matter how crazy the hunts get, I won’t stop either one of you. Elephant’s honor.”

His mate poked him in the chest as a mock warning, “Good, that’s what I like to hear.” Feeling a little excited for Kiara and proud of Simba’s decision, she decided a little reward was in order. “Close your eyes.”

“Uhh, okay…”

As he did, Nala gave him a big lick on his cheek. Opening his eyes and grinning cheekily, he asked, “Oooh, I like! What was that for?”

Nala smiled warmly, “For turning back into the lion I know and love.”

OoO

Kiara was lost.

Very lost.

Though, it’s not my fault. The young lioness told herself, still more than a little miffed about what happened earlier. It’s not my fault my dad made me so mad that I wanted to run so far away from home. It’s not my fault my stupid dad hurt my feelings so bad that I was crying and I made a wrong turn. It’s not my stupid, pigheaded, control freak of a father’s fault that I---

Kiara quickly shook her head. She decided that having lengthy rants to herself wasn’t very healthy and that she needed to focus more on more important things at hand. Her paws were hurting and her stomach was very angry at her for skipping out on lunch. Not only that, but there no way for her to retrace her steps when all she saw around her was a sea of tall, golden grass. Now was no time to panic.

The honey furred lioness continued to drag her tired paws forward, looking all around her for some sort of landmark, some sort of anything that she could at least sit under for just a little while. It was irritating how the sun in the sky had continued to beat down upon her back.

In the distance, she could make out some sort of tall, black thing swaying back and forth in-between the very visible heat waves. As she narrowed her eyes, a great big smile came across her face as she could make out some of the features. The random black thing wasn’t random at all, it was a tree!

Holy sweet Mufasa! A tree! Kiara thought excitedly, blinking a few times to make sure her eyes weren’t playing tricks on her. When it became apparent that it was indeed a tree, she gave an excited cheer and bounded towards her destination. “Shade!! Whoooohooo!”

Eventually, as she came closer and closer towards the tree she was so excited to see, Kiara realized that it was pretty much the biggest tree she had ever come across in her life. Its trunk was as thick as it was massive and reached way beyond the limits of the sky. The huge tree was adorned with thousands upon unlimited different shades of brilliant yellow green and dark green leaves, some of which sashayed and flew upon the light breeze like a dancer.

Kiara couldn’t help but admire not only the grandness and sheer beauty of it all as she relaxed at the base of the tree. The great space of shade gave her such a great feeling of calmness that she even felt almost at peace enough to rest her eyes for a few minutes.

It wouldn’t hurt to rest for a little while…I’ll only shut my eyes for five minutes, then I’ll come home. she told herself as her eyes started to droop. I’m sure if I’m gone long enough, Dad’ll feel guilty enough to apologize.

Yawning lazily, Kiara stretched out on her stomach and rested her head on her paws, fully intending to enjoy the emptiness of her mind and the rustling sound of the leaves above her.

“Asante sana, squash banana, Were nugu mimi hapana!”

Kiara opened an eye, What the…?

Groaning a little, Kiara put her paws over her ears. This was not happening to her right now. Maybe she didn’t know what the song was saying but she did know who the song was coming from.

“That’s it…“ Kiara mumbled, sitting up. She was going to completely forget about her nap. It was personal now.

Putting her ear against the base of the tree, she realized that Rafiki’s song was not coming from somewhere outside but rather, inside of the tree. Smirking to herself, she came up with a crafty little plan.

Since the monkey likes play jokes on other people. I think it’s only fair to return the favor.

The teenaged lioness quickly set herself up the base of the tree, latching her claws into its rough bark. At first, she had to get used to climbing the thing as sometimes she would get her claws stuck in place or she would slide down a few times but it wasn’t long until she was able to get into the rhythm of slowly inching up the tree. As she got to the area where the leaves and other sort of foliage started to get in her way, Kiara twisted her body and limbs into many awkward positions in order to keep her balance.

“Oww…oww…oww…Ouch!” Kiara yelped as some of the branches poked themselves into her fur and body. “Stupid branch! Move out of my way!”

The offending branch didn’t really like being called stupid so it smacked the young princess between her eyes. Letting out a surprise gasp filled with pain, Kiara shifted her weight to rub the hurt away. That was when she heard a loud cracking sound and panic set into her heart.

“Oh no! No! No! No! No! No! No!”

The branch she was sitting on was cracking and fast. Kiara tried to scramble away and find another branch but it was too late. The broken branch finally snapped and it dropped Kiara faster than a person would drop a burning plate.

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

Her body hit everything and everything as soon she met the ground with a resounding BAM! Battered and surely bruised, her struggle to get her paws was met with crazed laughter.

“Hehehehe! Princess Kiara! How nice of you to drop in!!”

Rafiki waved away some of the dust cloud that the impact of her fall had created. His wide grin made Kiara almost forget her first impulse to find a corner and cry in embarrassment.

“Heh, yeah. I’m so sorry about that,” she grated a little in pain. After moving her paws around as gingerly as possible to make sure nothing was broken, she flashed him an apologetic grin. “I hope I’m not interrupting anything, Mr. Rafiki.”

“Oh ho, ho! Rafiki is always ready for company!” the elderly baboon told her cheerfully, giving something of a grand bowing gesture. “Especially in de presence of de lovely Princess! So what brings you down from de frone?”

“Ah, let’s just say I’m on a little adventure…” Kiara replied with a weak smile, leaving out the fact that her father drove her to run away from home.

Rafiki nodded, “I see, like fater, like daughter! You are your fater’s girl, just as curious as he was. Dis is very good.”

Pfft, yeah right. Have you got your lions crossed. The teenaged lioness thought, rolling her eyes amusedly. Looking around the huge tree, the images of small lions that Rafiki had drawn caught her attention. “Wow! Did you draw all those?”

“Hehe, who else could it be? Rafiki is the only one in dis tree, you silly girl.” The elderly baboon said teasingly. “Dis is where I keep all of de legends of your granfaders, great grandfaders and great great grandfaders before you. You should even be able to recognize you dere somewhere.”

“Really?” Kiara asked in awe, studying every drawing in great detail. There were so many different kinds of drawings with their own designs and styles that no two could be mistaken for being the same. While she could make out the drawings of her parents and even herself, she found that she was confused on a picture of a little dark cub beside her.

She squinted at it a few times but no immediate faces or names came to mind, “So, who’s that, Rafiki? I don’t think I’ve seen that lion before, is he supposed to be a missing brother or something?”

Rafiki laughed, “Oh no! No! Dat would be de little cub, Kovu, Princess Kiara.”

“Oh yeah! I remember! We used to have so much fun playing together,” Kiara exclaimed cheerfully. She giggled at the little frown the cub had, “Now that you mention it, he really does look like him.”

“Dis brings back old memories. Your fader used to look at all of dese pictures with me as a cub too, did you know dat he painted all over my wall one time. De little devil!”

Ugh, what is your obsession with my dad? Kiara frowned slightly, “You know something? I don’t think I’m anything like my dad at all. Maybe I’m more like my mom, does anybody think of that?”

“Oh?” the elderly baboon cocked his head and examined her, “Yes, de beauty is dere and your modder was certainly headstrong. However, what is wrong wit being like your father? He is a great lion.”

Kiara snorted, “You’re just saying that because you don’t live with him. Trust me, he’s absolutely nothing like he used to be. He wouldn’t know the meaning of the word ‘fun’ even if it hit him upside the head.”

“Hmm, Rafiki does not dink dis is true,” he said with a shake of his head. “You are his precious little flower, Princess Kiara. You may just be a bud right now but one day you will blossom beautifully, so he has to take real good care of you. It is not that he has forgotten what fun is but sometimes dere are other things more important in life.”

“Well, this flower doesn’t want to blossom like he wants her to,” the teenaged princess grumbled. “If he is or was as mischievous as you say he was, why does he have to act like such a grumpy old fart? Why can’t he just act happy?”

“If Rafiki pointed out all of de stars in de sky, would you only see de back of his hand? Or would you look past and see all of the beauty of the heavens and de skies above?”

Kiara wrinkled up her nose in confusion, “I don’t think I understand. What does stars and glowing things have to do with my dad?”

“It is a metaphor, Princess Kiara. Rafiki is just saying dat you need to look beyond what you see sometimes, maybe you will find dere is more to your fader dat you see on the surface,” the elderly baboon told her sagely, a wry smile crossed his face. “You will understand someday.”

The teenaged lioness rolled her eyes amusedly, “Whatever you say. Maybe I’d understand him if we went back in time. It’d be so much easier then. You know, teenager to teenager and all that.”

Rafiki’s beady little eyes flashed with a playful wickedness and he rubs his hands together, “Den your wish is my command, Princess Kiara. I dink I have de thing you have been searching for…if you are willing to try it!”

“…What are you talking about?” The princess asked, shifting uneasily. He came closer and closer to her with a wild eagerness on his face that was creeping her out. “W-W…w-what are you thinking? S-Stop it, you’re creeping me out!”

He let out a crazy laugh like a madman and swiftly shot something out from behind him. Kiara let out a squeak of terror and cowered a little as he held up above his head a bunch of old dingy weeds.

“Behold, Princess Kiara! I present to you de key to de past!”
Life is a series of interruptions interrupted by interruptions and I am the best kind of interruption.
Chizuna
I CAN'T HEAR ANY FISH!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

It derscuffles me...

Nickname(s): Chizy
Pride Points: 6

Re: Another Me: Kiara's Journey

Postby cleargreenwater » July 20th, 2013, 2:04 pm

My goodness, this is well written with proper grammar and excellent reliable characterization! I might swallow my natural disinterest in Kiara knowing the action is moving to the past because I'm eager to see what you do with it and it reads so nicely!
-------------------------------------

The Event that BROKE MLK...

Avatar artwork of my character by NQN, commissioned & used with permission.
TLKFAA account: http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/ClearGreenWater/?+
cleargreenwater
Submersible Hyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

...Surfaces Occassionally.

Nickname(s): CGW
Pride Points: 39

Postby Chizuna » July 21st, 2013, 12:41 am

Thank you so much for the complement :)
Life is a series of interruptions interrupted by interruptions and I am the best kind of interruption.
Chizuna
I CAN'T HEAR ANY FISH!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

It derscuffles me...

Postby Kal » July 21st, 2013, 1:06 am

I really enjoyed this Chizy, I share CGW's thoughts... you've given Kiara a personaliteeeee, hehe. Very well written, and interestinggg content-wise. I should hope to be reading more of this. :)
The Quote Hall Of Fame: show
Ou - "Ou iz awezome."
Roku - "Roku is awesome."
Ou - "Kal is awesome."
*Kal bursts into tears of unbridled joy*
The Admiral - "What am I reading?"
Kal
tjúúúú

The fox around these parts.

Pride Points: 28

Postby Dark Huntress » July 21st, 2013, 1:10 am

Ermergerdnerss! This is awesome!
Thx Silver ^^ Image
My MLK Family and Friends: show
Sisters/BFs: Scarsmate, Meeko, Kiki, Redkite, and SimbaObsessor
Uncle: Tora
Godfather: James
Brother: Realmofthedragon
Mother: Wolfishgirl
Aunt: Unikels
ADORBZ [fluffy!] kitty friend: OuRaion

Credits Where Due: show
Thank-you, Darth Julie for the amazing avatar!!!
And thx, Silver for the kickbutt siggy!

My Philosophy: show
Love with every bit of who you really are, not with who you pretend to be.

FanFics:
Feedback appreciated! Please check it out!
Bond of Brothers

All artists, please join me on my art odyssey!
Dark Huntress
...And this Mortal...

...Shall put on Immortality....

Nickname(s): TJ, DH, et cetera
Pride Points: 22

Postby Chizuna » July 21st, 2013, 1:40 am

Thank you both so much, I'm so surprised at how much feedback I've gotten already! Hopefully I'll be able to make the next chapters even better :)
Chizuna
I CAN'T HEAR ANY FISH!

It derscuffles me...

Return to Fan Fictions