Tales of the Pridelands

Tales of the Pridelands

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » April 22nd, 2015, 7:37 am

So back in June I said to myself I was going to start my series of stories, titled Tales of the Pridelands (as ToTP is a nice abbreviation). The name of the first story is currently titled 'A New Era', but that may change. I have finally got around to writing it after thinking about it and hashing out a few things; and I'll soon have enough to upload.

I am writing it in a casual script form, which essentially means there are parts in italics which are actions, and then dialogue. It does not obey the rules of script. I made this decision as I find it easier to pace the story and people might enjoy visiting my story updates because they will be fairly quick reads.

Main characters:

A New Era:
Scenes 1 to 4: show
SCENE 1

The grasslands stretch as far as the eye can see. Sun pours from between the clouds and over the ground, catching dew on the grass. The dew is disturbed by paws, paws that are moving quickly. They belong to KIONGOZI, a young lion with a cheerful disposition and MALKIA, a lioness whose eyes show wisdom beyond her years. They have somewhere in their sights.

KIONGOZI
(excitedly)
We're almost there!

MALKIA
(with a laugh)
It's about time!

KIONGOZI slows down to peer up at the giant rock formation the pair had been travelling towards. His emerald eyes have a spark of determination. MALKIA sits beside him as he examines the base.

KIONGOZI
I think we can travel up the rocks. I bet there are caves we can spend the night-

MALKIA
If they're not already occupied.

KIONGOZI
Well, yeah, and then we can take a walk out across that rock that jets out, I bet it has the most incredible view-

MALKIA
And we can avoid falling off the edge.

KIONGOZI
(confused)
What's up with you?

MALKIA
(concerned)
I just don't want you to get your hopes up, like you did that last area. You've got to approach things with a little bit of caution.

KIONGOZI brushes up next to the sitting MALKIA. He licks her cheek and she scrunches up her face before smiling bashfully.

KIONGOZI
Good job I have you to keep me grounded.

She returns his lick and he nuzzles the top of her head.

(cont.)
Good job I have you to begin with, my love.

MALKIA's ruby eyes gloss over at his affectionate words, but she composes herself quickly.

MALKIA
(with sudden enthusiasm)
Come on then Kion, let's check this place out.

The two begin to scale the rocks, finding a suitable pathway. Either of them giggling, albeit nervously, when the other lost their balance for a moment or two.

SCENE 2

A day's walk south-east of the rock formation, a pair of lionesses walk begrudgingly towards a large group of trees for shade. HAMIRA, an outgoing lioness with an attitude walks ahead AJALI, a smaller, quieter lioness who prefers to keep herself to herself.

AJALI
(with a sigh)
Can you slow down?

HAMIRA
Ugh, sure.

The bigger lioness slows her pace so that she is beside AJALI, who shakes her head and smiles.

AJALI
You shouldn't be steaming ahead, you'll lose all your energy. We need that to hunt.

HAMIRA
We're taking a break now anyway.

The two finally come to the shade, and flop onto the ground.

AJALI
Feels good to be off your paws, doesn't it?

HAMIRA laughs and stretches out onto her back.

HAMIRA
Sure does. Finding prey is going to be a pain though.

AJALI
Yeah-

AJALI raises her head and takes a look around.

(cont.)
We haven't seen a lot of easy prey, and I'm not desperate enough for those giraffe we saw a while back.

HAMIRA
(with a laugh)
I don't think I've ever been desperate enough to take down a giraffe. Anyway, there's got to be someone we can ask. A monkey, a leopard, a bird?

KWELI
Or maybe even another lion?

The two lionesses jump to their feet in alarm at the new voice. The owner of the voice appears from behind one of the trees. KWELI, a large young male with a confident grin, trots over to the pair.

(cont.)
Sorry, did I startle you?

HAMIRA steps forward, almost protectively. Both lionesses seem rigid.

HAMIRA
Yeah, you bloody well did. Creeping about in the shadows like that.

KWELI
Hey, I wasn't creeping. I was asleep and awoke to the two of you chatting.

HAMIRA
And you decided to eavesdrop.

KWELI
(chuckling)
If you want to call it that.

SCENE 3

KIONGOZI and MALKIA have reached the rock that jetted out ahead of the main stone structure. While the sun is beating down as heavy as it always is, the breeze from the higher point kept the couple cool as they began to walk towards the point. Both are gazing out across the land, mesmerised.

KIONGOZI
It's so...

MALKIA
Beautiful?

KIONGOZI
Yeah, of course. The view is out of this world. I just feel something else. Something special.

The lioness rolls her eyes playfully and smiles.

MALKIA
You said that about the last place Kion.

KIONGOZI
Yeah, but, this is different.

KIONGOZI leaps ahead, stirring caution in MALKIA as he is close to the edge. She knows better than to warn him, as her over-protectiveness wasn't a trait either of them liked.

MALKIA
Different? How so?

KIONGOZI
It's like I'm walking in someone's paw prints.

MALKIA
(thoughtfully)
Coming to think of it, that cave had a homely feel to it.

He reaches the end, MALKIA at his side, as the two look across at the lands.

KIONGOZI
Mal, I think a pride used to live here.

Suddenly, a gush of wind picks up. It seems to travel between them and around their bodies. The wind has a noise being carried by it, not a typical whoosh, more like a faint roar. The couple stare at each other in bewilderment.

MALKIA
(startled)
What was that?

NABII
The weather! Very peculiar, don't you think?

The pair turn around sharply to find an old male baboon, NABII, leant on a tall stick, staring at them with a wild grin.

SCENE 4

Meanwhile, back in the south-eastern part of the lands, the three lions had been talking for a little while, introductions and how are you's etc. HAMIRA and AJALI were naturally unsure of the rogue, but he seemed friendly enough.

KWELI
So if you head towards that rock...thing, you'll more than likely find prey.

AJALI
Oh right, thanks. 'Mira, I'm going to go ahead just to check out the route.

HAMIRA nods and watches AJALI walk away.

HAMIRA
I'll catch up to you!

There's a muffled affirmative as the lioness moves further away.

KWELI
(without malice)
That Ajali, she's not very lively.

HAMIRA
(kindly)
Ajali is lovely when you get to know her. She just a bit-

KWELI
Shy?

HAMIRA
Not the word I would use. Anyway, did you visit that rock thing?

KWELI
Yeah I did, something about it gave me the creeps.

HAMIRA
(curiously)
What makes you say that?

KWELI
I don't know, it just felt weird.

HAMIRA
You probably just let the heat get to you.

The two chuckle and he murmurs an agreement.

(cont.)
Do you know if there's a pride near by?

KWELI
(shaking his head)
No I don't. They may be one beyond the rock. Why, are you searching for one?

HAMIRA
I miss pride life, you know what I mean?

KWELI
Actually, I don't.

HAMIRA
(slightly embarrassed)
Oh sorry, I never asked, have you always been a rogue?

KWELI
Yep. I presume you were in a pride. Not kicked out were you?

He grins despite HAMIRA quickly shaking her head, as she wonders why he changed the subject so quickly.

HAMIRA
No, overcrowding; not enough food to go around. A bunch of us left, but me and Ajali stuck together.

The male lion seems distant for a moment, and looks down at his paws. HAMIRA leans forward.

(cont.)
If you're looking for a pride too, you're more than welcome to join us.

KWELI looks up in surprise, but then quickly frowns.

KWELI
(hurriedly)
Nah, not really my thing. I better be off.

HAMIRA
Wait-

KWELI
Might see you around, if you're still in the area.

He trots away, turning around to give what HAMIRA thought was a saddened smile.

HAMIRA
Bye, Kweli.

She watches him disappear into tall grass. She thought it was a shame; he seems like a nice lion. She shakes her head, then turns and begins to walk in the direction AJALI went.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Re: Tales of the Pridelands

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » August 21st, 2015, 5:33 pm

Updated!
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Return to Fan Fictions