"The Pride That Never Was"

Re: "The Pride That Never Was"

Postby Akril » February 21st, 2010, 7:37 am

Wow, thank you very much, YFWE. I've greatly enjoyed your continuous feedback and comments, and I'm that you thought this story was that good.

However, this isn't the last chapter. There is still one more SP-derived scene that needs to take place as well as one more loose end that needs tying up...
Signature art by Nala_91
Akril

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 22

Postby YFWE » February 21st, 2010, 8:13 am

Yay, another chapter!! Fine with me! ^^
YFWE
Begger, stealer, borrower

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Svanire

Pride Points: 29

Postby ograndebatata » February 21st, 2010, 12:30 pm

Well, under the circunstances, I guess Chaka and Kovu ruling together was really the best that it could happen. I only hope they manage to keep the power equally distributed throughout their reign. And I'm impressed at Chaka's normal personality having returned with Timira.

I'm sad to know the next chapter will be the last, although I realize I haven't been the most devoted fan of this fanfic. Either way, good luck with it.
ograndebatata

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Postby Mike » February 21st, 2010, 8:13 pm

Great story =) I'm so glad it was continued in my absence and it sure didn't disappoint =) You're a terrific writer.
I host MLK Fan Artist of the Week in the Fan Art section
For three years I had roses, and apologized to no one.
Spoiler: show
Thanks to Jaynr for the avatar
Thanks to Simba for the TLK signature
Mike

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

King of Pride Rock

Nickname(s): Michael Freeman, Mikeyboy69, Sid

Postby Akril » February 22nd, 2010, 1:22 am

Epilogue:

The day was just dawning, but Pride Rock was already a flurry of activity. It was surrounded by animals of every species, all staring up at the high peak with wonder and curiosity. The Pridelanders and the former Outsiders lay in a wide circle near Pride Rock's main cave. Simba and Nala sat within the circle facing Kovu, Shani, Chaka and Timira, who sat nearest to the cave. Timon and Pumbaa were sitting at Simba's side, their eyes also fixed on the two lions and the two lionesses.

The old shaman Rafiki was standing in front of them, clutching his gourd-adorned staff with one hand. He nodded solemnly at the two young couples, then, with a speed that belied his great age, plucked one of the gourds from his staff. He then broke it in half, dipped one of his thumbs in the viscous red interior of the fruit, then painted a half-circle on Timira's chest, just over her heart. Then he dipped his thumb into the gourd again and painted a half-circle on Chaka's chest, which was covered by his growing mane. This shape was a mirror image of the one on Timira's chest, and the two arcs would form a complete circle if they were moved closer to each other. Rafiki smiled, then proceeded to paint two more half-circles on Kovu and Shani (who couldn't help giggling slightly when Rafiki painted the symbol on her).

Through this ritual, the two couples had truly become mates in the eyes of the pride. For as long as they lived, Kovu and Shani would be united as one, as would Chaka and Timira. Simba gazed at his son and daughter and felt tears fill his eyes. To think that this is how it would have turned out -- both of his children happily married, the Outsiders no longer a threat to their rule, and a hopeful future for his kingdom. Simba didn't know when the sun would set on his time as king, but he knew that he would be quite ready to join his mother and father when it finally did.

"They look so happy," Pumbaa remarked, his voice choked with emotion. "Oh, to be joined in the bonds of macaroni..."

"Matrimony, Pumbaa," Timon retorted, but it was clear that he was trying not to cry. "But doggone it, I hope things work out well for 'em."

Suddenly the meerkat frowned and looked around the circle of lionesses, then turned to Simba.

"Psst! Hey, Simba," he said. "Where the heck is that majordomo of yours?"

"Zazu?" Simba asked. He glanced left and right, but like Timon, didn't see the brightly colored bird anywhere.

"That's funny," he muttered. "It's not like Zazu to miss a ceremony as important as this. Where could he be?"

"Maybe he's looking for Binti," Pumbaa suggested.

"Oh, come on," Timon said. "You really think a pompous old bird like him would ditch us on a day like today just so he could go looking for his..."

Timon abruptly fell silent and a puzzled look crept over his face. Simba suddenly noticed a low rumbling sound filling the air, and he looked around, trying to find the source of the noise. Nala spotted it before he did: a large dust cloud was speeding across the savannah, heading towards the base of Pride Rock. Many of the animals in the dust cloud's path were hurriedly moving out of its way, and many of the Outsiders in the circle of lionesses were starting to grow anxious as well.

Within a matter of moments, the dust cloud had reached the base of Pride Rock and was now rumbling up the slope leading to the spot where the pride was assembled at a slightly slower rate. Though it was no longer raising any dust, it wasn't until the strange thing had come to a complete stop near the edge of the circle that the pride realized what it was.

Winston the rhinoceros stood calmly before the lions and lionesses, panting heavily. On his head was a slightly dazed-looking Zazu, and at his side, with a coy smirk on her face and slim branch clutched in her right foot, was Binti.

"Binti!" Shani exclaimed, excitedly bounding towards Winston in complete disregard for the rules of the marriage ceremony. Zazu shook his head rapidly, then turned to Simba.

"Sire," he said, "Please accept my sincerest apologies for our lateness as well as our..."

He shot Binti a look out of the corner of his eye.

"...less than proper arrival."

"Hey, you said that we needed to hurry," Binti shrugged. "And hurrying is what Winston does best, isn't it, boy?"

Winston grunted.

"Apologies accepted," Simba said. "But where were you, Zazu?"

"And where have you been all this time?" Shani asked Binti.

Binti smiled sheepishly and glanced over her shoulder.

"Well, I suppose now would be the best time to answer that," she said quietly.

She then turned towards the massive hump formed by Winston's shoulders.

"Okay, you can come out now," she called. "Don't worry, it's safe. I promise."

For a moment, there was nothing. Then, a scraggly, feathered head peered cautiously over Winston's hump, stared at the crowd for a moment, then disappeared. After another pause, the head appeared again -- and this time, so did the entire animal. It ambled up onto the top of Winston's hump and stared at the animals in front of it with wide, curious eyes.

It was a young hornbill. It was more than half the size of Binti, but many of its feathers were still coming in, making it look as if it had fledged only a few days before. Before Shani or any of the other watchers could react to this sight, two more hornbill chicks appeared on either side of it, looking every bit as scruffy as the first.

Shani laughed with delight, and Simba gaped at Zazu in astonishment.

"Yep," Binti said, "Keeping eggs warm is a full-time job, and so is keeping these three fed. I'm sorry for not telling anyone about it beforehand, but Zazu and I...we just thought it would be better if we waited until later."

"Wow," Shani gasped, staring at the three chicks in adoration. "What did you name them?"

"Uh...actually, we haven't named them yet," Binti admitted. "But two are girls and one's a boy, so what if we call them...Shani, Timira and Chaka?"

Shani snickered, Timira rolled her eyes, and Chaka smiled.

"Hey, what about naming them after us?" asked Shetani from her position a couple places away from her brother.

"But there are only two of you," Binti said. "But I guess I could name them Kovu, Shetani and Bi -- "

She halted in mid-sentence, realizing almost too late how insensitive it would be to mention the name of Kovu and Shetani's mother in such an irreverent manner. Surprisingly, though, neither Kovu nor Shetani looked offended. In fact, they both looked remarkably calm. After a pause, Kovu spoke in a soft, low voice.

"You can name the third one Bianca if you want," he said. "It is a beautiful name, after all...and those are beautiful babies."

Many of the former Outsiders stared at Kovu in awe. Though many of them didn't understand why he would suggest such a thing at first, they slowly began to realize the significance of his words: he didn't want the name to his mother to be associated with the cruel, revenge-obsessed creature that had tried to kill Simba. That Bianca was gone now. Perhaps by giving someone in the next generation that name, there was hope that individual would make that name into one that inspired love rather than loathing.

After all, Kovu had been given a name that meant "scar", yet now he had grown as different from his father as night was from day -- even the cut over Kovu's eye had almost completely healed by this time. The shadows that both Bianca and Scar had cast over the young lion had finally faded away.

Binti was silent for a moment, looking lost in thought. Then she quickly regained her light-hearted demeanor.

"Well, we can come up with names later," she said quickly. "Right now you'd better get back to performing this ceremony."

"Oh, right," Shani said, running back to her original position beside Kovu. Rafiki, glad that the interruption was finally over, raised his staff and waved it above the heads of Chaka and Timira, the final step that sealed the bond between them. He then did the same with Shani and Kovu, then stepped back and bowed before the two couples.

Though this part of the ceremony was now over, there was another part that had to be carried out. The four young lions rose to their feet and began walking through the circle of lionesses, heading towards the peak of Pride Rock. The assembled lionesses bowed to them as they passed.

When the four lions reached the spot where Simba and Nala were sitting, there was only enough space between the two seated lions to allow two of them to pass through at a time. Chaka and Timira walked through first, and Simba and Nala smiled warmly at them as they passed. Then Shani and Kovu walked through. Kovu glanced at Simba as he walked past, and though his dark face was nervous, it was hopeful as well.

The two couples finally reached the peak of Pride Rock. They stood abreast, Chaka and Kovu in the middle with Shani and Timira on the outside. For a moment, they gazed down in awe at the multitudes of animals standing far below them and the rapidly brightening sky above them. Then, after a few confirming glances at each other, they knew they were ready. As if the four of them were one, they breathed in deeply, then let loose a deafening roar that could be heard for miles around.

This roar was meant to symbolize the newly wedded prince and princess staking their claim as the future king and queen of their kingdom. Before her death, Sarabi had described how she and Mufasa had performed this ritual together, and it filled Simba with pride to see his children and their mates doing it as well. Before the echoes of their roar had died away, the four lions roared again, and this time they were joined by Simba, Nala, and all the other lions in the pride. The animals gathered below Pride Rock leapt, pranced and called out excitedly, acknowledging their present and future rulers.

Amidst all the noise and confusion, the world seemed to suddenly grow quiet for Simba. He felt truly at peace for the first time in many years. He looked at Chaka, his shy, wise son; Shani, his playful, always optimistic daughter who had helped unite the prides; Timira, the quick-tongued huntress who had brought Chaka back to his senses in the nick of time; and Kovu, the son of Scar who had saved not only Simba's life, but Shani's as well.

Simba slowly turned to look at Kovu's sister Shetani, who was staring at her brother, her face filled with joy and admiration. Simba then glanced at faithful companions Timon and Pumbaa; Zazu, Binti and their three chicks; and the eccentric mandrill Rafiki. They all looked just as happy as Simba felt. Finally, Simba turned to his mate, Nala. She looked at him out of her jade green eyes, smiled her sweet, delicate smile and licked him gently on the cheek. Simba nuzzled her fondly, then looked up at the morning sky. It was filled with large, fleecy clouds illuminated by the sun, some of them so filled up with light that they couldn't help spilling sunbeams over the vast, green plains beneath them. The sight was so beautiful that Simba was no longer able to hold back his tears. With both joy and sadness in his heart, he silently spoke to the heavens:

Father...Mother...I did it.

The End
Signature art by Nala_91
Akril

Postby YFWE » February 22nd, 2010, 2:10 am

As I said before, such a great fanfic. You really did a marvelous job. I cannot help but regret that it's over. And how cute that Zazu and Binti have children!!

Hope you'll grace us with another fanfic one day. ^^
YFWE
Begger, stealer, borrower

Svanire

Pride Points: 29

Postby Mike » February 22nd, 2010, 4:46 am

*applause*

That's about all I have to say =)
I host MLK Fan Artist of the Week in the Fan Art section
For three years I had roses, and apologized to no one.
Spoiler: show
Thanks to Jaynr for the avatar
Thanks to Simba for the TLK signature
Mike

King of Pride Rock

Nickname(s): Michael Freeman, Mikeyboy69, Sid

Postby ograndebatata » February 22nd, 2010, 10:10 pm

Well... I guess the only thing I can now say is: this was a really good fanfic, and I'm very glad for having come across it. And good luck for whatever you decide to do in the future.
ograndebatata

Pride Points: 0

Postby Akril » February 24th, 2010, 2:59 am

Thanks a lot, everybody. I'm glad most of you enjoyed this story.
Signature art by Nala_91
Akril

Postby Akril » May 6th, 2010, 9:48 pm

Sorry for the late thread bump -- I thought I posted a link to this page earlier, but it looks like I didn't.

I put together a page that goes into the making of this story. It has a lot of pictures and discussion about the development of the various characters, plus links to the pages where I got the information for this story from in the first place:

Signature art by Nala_91
Akril

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Fictions