My Computer / Build Log

Re: My Computer / Build Log

Postby KingCub » January 17th, 2014, 8:00 pm

[quote="Kiburi"]Looking good![/quote]
Thank you!!

[quote="nalasimba83"]you BUILT this?[/quote]
Yep Yep Yep!

--------------------------------------------------
Alright, last but not least is all the cards! I had to swap a few cards out on my brothers computer, so I thought I would put all the cards in one shot. Just for comparison between the size difference between them all. So top left is the GTX 660, below that is the ASUS sound card, top right is the GTX 780 and last one is the GTX 650.
TLK S&P 1.jpg

Well, next was to install the Graphics card and the Sound card. Sadly the only smaller PCI slot is right below my 3.0 PCI so Im forced to have the two right next to each other. Luckily if I ever did want to go for an SLI setup, the two would still fit, even with the sound card in-between them. Also got the two power cords set up, but man was it a pain. The colors where really tricky to get all lined up and looking good. But I did the best that I could!
TLK S&P 22.jpg

Now that everything is in place, time for the boot up!! Luckily, I got into the BIOS just fine on the first boot! Its also very nice that the HUE and water cooler all kept the settings from last time, even though I did not like the orange lighting that was in it. But don't worry, I ended up changing it!
TLK S&P 18.jpg

Now its the fun part of the build (Not really). Instillation. After boot comes the hours of Driver and windows updates. But its going to all be worth it!
TLK S&P 19.jpg

Alright, next step is photo shoot time! Ill post some final pics once everything is finished up, then its over clocking time!
You are what you love, not who loves you.
Thanks Regulus for the lovely siggy!
Other Things~
Spoiler: show

Thank you Kib and SimbasMate!

Photography | Ask Me Stuff | Facebook | My Computer
KingCub

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KC, Ty
Pride Points: 28

Postby Kiburi » January 17th, 2014, 8:28 pm

This build looks (for lack of a better term) sexy!
Love the color scheme and individually sleeved cables! (I need to get some of those! But ted and black for my build to match the color scheme)

Although, I think the next thing to upgrade would be software related. Windows 8.1. I have it, and I actually love it! But, Windows 7 is still great. :)

Anyways, glad to see that this build turned out well! We need to play a game together sometime, haha.
Kiburi
A waffle is like

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

A pancake with a syrup trap

Nickname(s): Kib, Kibbles, Kibbles n' Bits

Postby KingCub » January 18th, 2014, 2:04 am

[quote="Kiburi"]This build looks (for lack of a better term) sexy!
Love the color scheme and individually sleeved cables! (I need to get some of those! But ted and black for my build to match the color scheme)

Although, I think the next thing to upgrade would be software related. Windows 8.1. I have it, and I actually love it! But, Windows 7 is still great. :)

Anyways, glad to see that this build turned out well! We need to play a game together sometime, haha.[/quote]
Thanks! Ya, its amazing how much the cables make an impact on the overall look of it.

Ya, I want Win8, but right now Im still just waiting for compatibility to come full in. Must of the programs I use for flight training are not available for Win8, and a few other important programs here and there. But I don't really have that big of an issue with it overall!

Yes we do! Check out my Steam Library, I can play whatever haha!
Other Things~

KingCub

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Kiburi » January 18th, 2014, 5:46 am

May I ask where you got those sleeved PSU cables?
Kiburi
A waffle is like

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby KingCub » January 18th, 2014, 6:06 am

[quote="Kiburi"]May I ask where you got those sleeved PSU cables?[/quote]
Got them all from FrozenCPU.com

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g2/c413 ... d=XYtmsIAw

Just look around there for the cable/color you need!
Other Things~

KingCub

Postby Kiburi » January 18th, 2014, 6:18 am

Awesome! Thanks! :D
Kiburi
A waffle is like

Postby KingCub » January 18th, 2014, 6:35 am

Now that everything is finished up, its time for a photo shoot! Nothing professional (Although I might be able to set something up sometime down the line) But, just some shots on my desk to show off the final product.

Enjoy!

Panels off-
TLK S&P 25.jpg

TLK S&P 23.jpg

TLK S&P 21.jpg

TLK S&P 20.jpg

Panels on-
TLK S&P 27.jpg

Random Internals-
TLK S&P 26.jpg

TLK S&P 24.jpg

Lights-
TLK S&P 29.jpg

TLK S&P 28.jpg

TLK S&P 32.jpg

Yay!! Building is complete!!

Now, if your here for the pretty pictures, well this is where it kinda ends. Don't worry, I might post a few in-game pics or the random shot here and there. Next step is over clocking the systems, so it will be a lot of stress testing, BIOS, and stories about getting this beast up and running fully! :D
Other Things~

KingCub

Postby Regulus » January 18th, 2014, 10:02 am

That is one nice looking graphics card. I prefer the orange lighting, though. The blue looks sorta weird with the orange around the PCB.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby KingCub » January 18th, 2014, 6:26 pm

[quote="Regulus"]That is one nice looking graphics card. I prefer the orange lighting, though. The blue looks sorta weird with the orange around the PCB.[/quote]
Ya, I was really debating what color looks best, and I do kinda like the orange too. And the camera also picked it up on more of the blue side, but really its a white here. But ill probable be switching back and forth for a while!
Other Things~

KingCub

Postby KingCub » January 21st, 2014, 7:05 am

Alright!! Overclocking time :D

As always, I like to start out with the CPU, for a few reasons. Mainly because this is the first thing to fail if you have a bad OC during a stress test, so getting the CPU stable is always a must!

Software~

Overclocking-Normal BIOS! There are a few dedicated CPU overclockers out there, but I tend to stick to the BIOS for any larger changes that need to be made.
Stress Test-For CPU stress testing I use Prime95. Puts one of the highest stress and temp readings out there, but I also like Intel's BurnTest. For now, Ill just stick to P95 for the CPU.
Temp Monitoring-For temp monitoring I use CoreTemp. Nice little free one, and it keeps the temp down in the task-bar when not in use.
Overheat Protection-Always run overheat protection when doing serious overclocks! I have a few safeguards in place. First is in Prime95, and it will stop the test if anything is acting different within the chip. Next I use CoreTemp, and has a self-shut down if temps get to high. And last is the BIOS, again will shut down the computer if anything reaches high levels.

Alright, first things first. Its good to run a Blend test in P95 with the stock settings. This will give you a good baseline for what temp and voltage to look for. This was run at stock voltage, with the stock 36x CPU ratio. Test run for about 45min to get max temps out of the CPU.
OC-1.jpg

Once that was done, then it was time to get some power into her! With most CPU's, your able to take the ratio up to about 40x without ever touching anything else. Just a few BIOS settings to fix things like Vdrop and clock fluctuations. But I pushed it a bit farther, getting her up to 44x with one notch of extra power. Temps where all pretty low, so I could easily move forward. But as always, you should only move the ratio up by 2 each time. This test was run for about an hour, getting max temps and small test of reliability.
OC-2.jpg

Next up was also pretty easy, this just requiring a small boost in voltage to keep things running smoothly. But, this is also where I start to draw it as a harder overclock, so stress test are run for longer times and temps where monitored regularly. The first test was ran for about an hour or so, then the first system crash! Temps where all in the green during the test, so it was a simple fact of low voltage. After another small boost, the test was ran again. This time for about 3 hours, and all temps in the green!
OC-3.jpg

Now is where things get tricky. Anything past a 46x ratio can get a bit hairy even with a hefty cooler. But that's just all part of the fun right!? Haha, next up was a number that I had never gotten. The dreadful 47x... From this point on I decided to only kick it up by one notch each time, preventing some crazy crashes from poor voltage settings from the last run. With the clock set at 47x, it was testing time. Sadly, this clock did not even pass boot up, and I got stuck with the overclockers bad luck. Complete BIOS lockup. Basically, the clock could not hold anything, even just starting up into the BIOS to change the settings around. Luckily, my MB has a build in Clear BIOS button, so I was able to reset the BIOS back to its original settings. After restoring the settings from the last save file, I was back in business! 47x, and this time, a higher voltage. But again, after only a few minutes in the stress test, another crash. So just repeat the steps. Reboot, raise voltage, start over. After about 3 times of this happening, the computer seemed to finally be happy! After about 6-7 hours in the test, all was running steady! Temps started to peak my interest, but nothing to worry about just yet.

Next was 48x. I always like to start from the voltage from the last CPU ratio, even though I know it will fail. And yep..it failed. After raising the voltage some, another fail. But only 2 total fails this time (and thankfully no lockups) she seemed to be pleased with it! After about a 12 hour test, things where good! About the same temps, this time pushing past the 80 deg mark. Nothing to be concerned about, but I still wish they where lower! Higher temps can only mark the near end to your overclocking fun.
OC-4.jpg

At this point I was pretty much ecstatic at the though of reaching a 50x on this system. Something that I ever though this system could handle. But after a 49x ratio was dialed up, there went my dreams! After countless fails and raising the voltage up by a alarming rate, I finally got something. She managed to survive, but not happily. After running the test for about 3 min, temps where crossing my limit. Even though it is safe to push past this limit, I know that the next test only brings higher temps, so there was no way that this thing was going to make it. So after just barely peaking at a 90 deg temp, the test was off.
OC-5.jpg

Now it was time for the last step, witch consisted on a few other steps. First was taking her down a notch to 48x ratio, the final number for it. After a few test where run, next came the voltage. This part was never fun, as it required lots of small movements to the voltage in order to find the smallest stable number you can reach. This is just to help with temps in the long run. After a few other stability tests, it was time for the real test. With Prime95 set on Small FFT testing (The highest CPU stress test temp wise) it was time for the 24 hour test. So, booting her up and running the test like normal. For the first few hours I checked on it a few times, just checking temps and making sure nothing went wrong. Temps seemed good, only reaching about 75 at the highest point. At this point I just let her sit and do its thing. Checking every once in a while for anything new. But nothing, and the test went well. With CORE#1 with a top temp of 77 deg, I was happy!

So Final clock was a conferable 48x CPU clock, running at a stable limit!

As always, any questions, feel free to ask!

And as always, have a good day everybody! :D
Other Things~

KingCub

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Creativity