Help Please

Want to show your art to other artists in a gallery setting? Check out the Fan Art Albums!

Help Please

Postby Daenerys » May 10th, 2011, 4:52 am

Hi guys! I found out I have a little hand for drawing digitally, and I started an FAA Album! You can view it HERE. I'm pretty crappy at the moment and I need practice. QueenSummer encouraged me to do it, so I gave it a shot. But anyways, I would like every possible and helpful tip thrown my way to get me goin'. Thanks guys!
Daenerys
♛ queen ♛

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

nightmare dressed like a daydream

Nickname(s): rena/dashie/whatever
Pride Points: 175

Re: Help Please

Postby DGFone » May 10th, 2011, 8:54 am

Just with sofware (no skill increase) I would recommend using GIMP instead of MS Paint. It has much more tools and is very powerful (is only a little worse than Photoshop). It has many usefull tools like multiple brushes, and looking at your art work, anti-aliasing. Just small things that are done with a few clicks and improve quality noticeably.
It's free: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Little nerd moment: Wow, I knew that GIMP was UNIX based and open sources, but I never knew that it is not officially supported for Windows. Guess I found one good program that pays to have a Linux OS.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Eli_Ayase » May 10th, 2011, 9:10 am

Adobe Photoshop is great as well, but only easy :innocent: maybe if you need practice I can draw a troutrail for you, what ya say Cheetah?
Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition’s blurred. If I am to choose between one evil and another, I rather not choose at all. – Geralt of Rivia
[Facebook] | [DeviantART] | [FictionPress.com] | [FanFiction.net] | [My Tumblr.]
I come and go, don't question me.
Also I'm an weeaboo/otaku, fite me m8 1v1 irl.

If you find anything offensive of what I say. Then it's not my fault that you took it serious.
Eli_Ayase
Gwynbleidd

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Geralt of Rivia

Location: Iorveth's Forest (United Kingdom, Cambridgeshire area)
Nickname(s): Eli, Ann, Nat, Elichika, Eri, Ayase, Elise

Postby DGFone » May 10th, 2011, 9:17 am

[quote="NatalieTheLionQueen"]Adobe Photoshop is great as well, but only easy :innocent: maybe if you need practice I can draw a troutrail for you, what ya say Cheetah?[/quote]

Very true. But that's if Cheetah has $200 to shelve for that software. This is why I recommend GIMP. You can get the software, and a tablet for the price of photoshop.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby KopsTheTerminator » May 10th, 2011, 9:26 am

Agreed with DGFone, GIMP is actually really good if you're starting out. I'd recommend being a drawing tablet, they're really expensive though :S Also, you may want to practice by copying TLK screengrabs, it really helps you memorize Disney's drawing style.
KopsTheTerminator

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Eli_Ayase » May 10th, 2011, 9:30 am

[quote="DGFone"][quote="NatalieTheLionQueen"]Adobe Photoshop is great as well, but only easy :innocent: maybe if you need practice I can draw a troutrail for you, what ya say Cheetah?[/quote]

Very true. But that's if Cheetah has $200 to shelve for that software. This is why I recommend GIMP. You can get the software, and a tablet for the price of photoshop.[/quote]

Eh, don't forget that we all can *cough*downloadit*cough*
Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition’s blurred. If I am to choose between one evil and another, I rather not choose at all. – Geralt of Rivia
[Facebook] | [DeviantART] | [FictionPress.com] | [FanFiction.net] | [My Tumblr.]

If you find anything offensive of what I say. Then it's not my fault that you took it serious.
Eli_Ayase
Gwynbleidd

Geralt of Rivia

Postby KopsTheTerminator » May 10th, 2011, 9:40 am

[quote="NatalieTheLionQueen"][quote="DGFone"][quote="NatalieTheLionQueen"]Adobe Photoshop is great as well, but only easy :innocent: maybe if you need practice I can draw a troutrail for you, what ya say Cheetah?[/quote]

Very true. But that's if Cheetah has $200 to shelve for that software. This is why I recommend GIMP. You can get the software, and a tablet for the price of photoshop.[/quote]

Eh, don't forget that we all can *cough*downloadit*cough*[/quote]

That's not exactly helpful unless she wants Adobe to be after her XD
KopsTheTerminator

Postby Eli_Ayase » May 10th, 2011, 9:52 am

^ true, just saying it XD
-
And I agree about that Kops daid about screengrabs, they really do help as a ref.

Eli_Ayase
Gwynbleidd

Geralt of Rivia

Postby DGFone » May 10th, 2011, 6:32 pm

Screenshots are good, but clip-art is even better for starting out because it has a simpler art style.
http://www.mylionking.com/gallery/lk/clipart/
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby Daenerys » May 11th, 2011, 5:48 am

oi, sorry guys, haven't been keeping up with this thread >.< Anyway, I already have gimp. Actually for me, Paint works good. Thank you DGFone for suggesting clipart! I can practice with that.
Daenerys
♛ queen ♛

nightmare dressed like a daydream

Nickname(s): rena/dashie/whatever
Pride Points: 175

Return to Fan Art