First TLK Animation Attempt

Want to show your art to other artists in a gallery setting? Check out the Fan Art Albums!

First TLK Animation Attempt

Postby Farren » March 18th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Thought I'd share this here. :D I have done a few animations before but this is not only my very first TLK animation, it's also my first ever attempt at making a character's mouth move to say a speaking line. I put together all three stages (rough pencil sketch, ink, color) it's far from perfect but I self teach myself everything so I learn by trial and error. I use nothing but traditional materials (pencils, pens and paper), size it all up in paint then to animate the frames I use lunapic.com.

Since I'm currently obsessed with the untold story of Mufasa and Scar's past, that's the focus here. Ahadi is showing Mufasa his future kingdom (much like Mufasa does for Simba) but little brother Taka (Scar) follows them up and demands to know "what about me?", why does HE get to be king etc. Perhaps this is where it all starts (or do you disagree and think Scar was just born evil (I don't feel anyone is, hatred has to start somewhere but that's my opinion) :think:)

Anyways don't judge it too harshly, it's just for fun and practice. :P Now, I need to add a voice to it somehow...but I don't have a recorder & finding the perfect voice saying that exact line seems impossible. Wonder if I can find one of Jeremy Irons doing a higher pitch....bwaha I joke. That'd be hilarious but I don't think it'd work right :lol:

I also did a follow up comic on what happens right after this scene (since I just don't have the patience or the hand strength to animate all of this out) Since it's a pretty large image (and a smaller version would just make it unreadable) I'm just posting a link to it in my gallery:
http://www.mylionking.com/fan/art/Artists/Farren/Gallery.php?artwork=8487
My little ramble on there also mentions why Ahadi mentions Sarabi by name (hint: "it's a tradition going back generations!") Also, I know Ahadi looks more Mufasa/Simba color here, however if I were to draw more than just his leg and paw I would have given him a black mane. I like that design the best (the official written design)
Farren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Socks
Pride Points: 6

Re: First TLK Animation Attempt

Postby AdAstrα » March 19th, 2012, 3:44 pm

That looks really cool! Well done :)
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby CheetahCat » March 19th, 2012, 6:19 pm

Oh wow. :)

I think you've done a good job on this my feline friend. :) For this being your first, I'm pretty impressed! I like the concept about Mufasa and Scar's past as well and to see something animated is exciting. c: I also agree hatred has to originate somewhere in the past, it'll be eccentric to know he was born with it which is unlikely.

The rest of the comic in the link is awesome. :) I left a comment there too! Keep up the impressive artwork! Looking forward of seeing more. ;)
CheetahCat
Tea Guzzler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Meow.

Nickname(s): TeenSimba, Si, TS
Pride Points: 9

Postby Regulus » March 19th, 2012, 6:27 pm

If you had a microphone, you could use Audacity (a free audio editing program) to change the pitch of your voice until you get it right.

Even without sound, it's a cool idea; I was actually thinking about doing something like this a few days ago. I love the way Mufasa's head turns, it really has a nice 3D effect. I can't imagine that being easy to do.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Farren » March 19th, 2012, 10:54 pm

Thanks guys, means a lot! :D I had a lot of fun with this, despite the hand cramps, I might hafta do another sometime. Making a mouth form the right shapes for a speaking line was a challenge, but I like challenges. Thanks for the comment on the comic too, CheetahCat! I have so much fun with Muffy n' Taka's past (even if we know little to nothing about it, I guess that's half the fun)

[quote="Regulus"]If you had a microphone, you could use Audacity (a free audio editing program) to change the pitch of your voice until you get it right.

Even without sound, it's a cool idea; I was actually thinking about doing something like this a few days ago. I love the way Mufasa's head turns, it really has a nice 3D effect. I can't imagine that being easy to do.[/quote]

I might hafta get my hands on a microphone and try that sometime, sounds fun! Thanks for the comment btw, I dunno how many times I redid Mufasa's ear on the head turn, took a while to get it looking right :lol:
Farren

Postby AdAstrα » March 19th, 2012, 11:03 pm

Just curious as to how you did this exactly? I've only tried a tiny bit of animation myself, but I've failed miserably every time! Would you mind sharing your secrets? xD What software did you use for putting this together?
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby Farren » March 20th, 2012, 12:59 am

[quote="AdAstra"]Just curious as to how you did this exactly? I've only tried a tiny bit of animation myself, but I've failed miserably every time! Would you mind sharing your secrets? xD What software did you use for putting this together?[/quote]

Well for the art itself I did it all the oldskool style, by hand. Pencils, pens and tracing paper (which works really well for animation frames since you can see the previous sketch and keep things more on scale) Then I scanned every frame onto the computer, sized them up right in ms paint and then uploaded them to http://www.lunapic.com, which has a really useful (and free) tool for animating frames together. :D

Regulus, I got Audacity and I'm currently having a blast warping various sound wavs...tried a few of Scar, but so far all the higher pitches I've tried make him sound like a chipmunk, which has me really amused :crazy: I'm sure I'll figure it out in time though
Farren

Postby cleargreenwater » March 20th, 2012, 1:40 am

[quote="Farren"]....then uploaded them to http://www.lunapic.com, which has a really useful (and free) tool for animating frames together. :D[/quote]

....OMG, holy crap that IS free! :D

Oh man, where was that before I had carpal tunnel? What a very awesome find, thanks for sharing!

Great fun to see something moving that you made, too. How many frames did that take in total?
-------------------------------------

The Event that BROKE MLK...

Avatar artwork of my character by NQN, commissioned & used with permission.
TLKFAA account: http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/ClearGreenWater/?+
cleargreenwater
Submersible Hyena

...Surfaces Occassionally.

Nickname(s): CGW
Pride Points: 39

Postby SophieCub » March 20th, 2012, 9:59 am

Thats amazing! You should make more of these! :3
SophieCub
Childhood Spirit

Nickname(s): SC, Sofaloaf, Soph
Pride Points: 139

Postby Farren » March 20th, 2012, 3:25 pm

[quote="cleargreenwater"]

....OMG, holy crap that IS free! :D

Oh man, where was that before I had carpal tunnel? What a very awesome find, thanks for sharing!

Great fun to see something moving that you made, too. How many frames did that take in total?[/quote]

No problem, lunapic is very useful! Sorry to hear about your carpal tunnel though, ouch! And this animation is 10 frames total.

Thanks Sophie! I plan to do more eventually
Farren

Next

Return to Fan Art