Share Links to Your Favorite TLK Fanfics

Re: Share Links to Your Favorite TLK Fanfics

Postby Gemini » June 24th, 2014, 8:14 am

Reviving this, kinda, because I've got my own recommendations to share. ... Boy, where to begin...

Before I start, though:

[quote="Ninaroja"]I guess its Gemini Time now :P

Trampled (by the afore mentioned GeminiGemelo) is an awesome read. Simba dies in the stampede but Mufasa survives, but it puts a great spin on an AU scenario that I've seen a few times before. For a fic that basically killed off my favorite character in the very first chapter, I'm surprised it got my attention the way it did, but I'm very glad it did :)

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7884028/1/Trampled

And if you have time, check out some of her oneshots, too. They're great too, especially this one
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8263316/1/P ... erlocution[/quote]

Geez. I'm tickled pink that you'd think that, really. Thanks for the rec. :D Your stories are great, too, of course - I'd recommend Captive myself, but it seems that rmff has beat me to the punch yet again (as always xP).

Concerning my own recs, this first one is really a comic, not a fanfic, but it's so fantabulous that I can't not point it out. :smug: To be honest, though, I wouldn't be surprised if some of you already have read it, as it seems to be quite well known as a fan-comic. Just check out the gallery of Savu0211 and you'll see his huge, prolific body of work (seriously, I'm amazed at how much he's managed to make in not-very-much time, it seems).

The art is shaded a bit oddly at first, and since he's German there are some grammar errors here and there... but they're all fantastic comics. He has a lot of interesting new characters and has invented some interesting theories, all while staying in canon. They pretty much go from Ahadi's life (I think? Haven't read that one), to Taka's life, to Scar's reign, and then there's a big timeskip and the story picks up with Kovu and Kiara's children. There's also side stories and such along the way. It's very detailed and emotional.

Anyways, I could gush forever, but seriously, they're amazing.

Onto my FFn account. I don't browse a lot, but these are worthy of mention:

Not Another Lion King Story by tearthgrrl. Not an author I've read much of, but I found this story a couple years ago and found it endearing. It's about Scar trying to get forgiveness from the hyenas so he can join the Great Kings of the Past. It's Christmas-themed, if I remember.

Bora by IxoxoheartoxoxNuka. Again, not an author I've read much of, though that may change. It's pretty short, but I felt attached to the characters and their relationships in a way I'm sure most authors would envy. I'd give it a shot, it's not long at all.

King Scar, You So Crazy by Kovukono. Humor. Humor. Humor. Humor. Period. Do not take this fic seriously... like, at all. It's f-ing insane is what I can say about it. I don't know if the author will ever finish it - unlikely, given that he disappeared years ago - but personally, I have read several of his stories and plan on reading more. They're all very well-developed, immersing, and interesting. Not to mention dark, as most of his stories aren't humor like this one.

The Lion King: In the Snow by Loewe. Another oddball one, though it's an interesting concept and a personal favorite of mine given that I love all things Scandinavia. It's very well written, although there's only two chapters and the author seems to have disappeared. Shame how they always do that. :/

Going In Blind by Neversaid-I-Madesense. Another one-shot I really, really enjoyed that gives quite a bit of background on Zira's life and her relationship with Scar. It's very descriptive and powerful, with a good ending as well. Definitely worth a read.

Monster by Your Mom's A Wookie. Another one of those fics that seems to like to play with your emotions. It's pretty dialogue/character driven, and it focuses on Nala's unwanted child that Scar fathered, including his life, his heritage, and his relationships with the pride. Overall, an interesting fic, though it doesn't seem like this author is coming back to finish it anytime soon. Dammit.

Quid Pro Quo by TheBlackCatCrossing. So, a lot of you authors probably know Cat, because, well, she's fantastic. This particular one does have some M-rated material, so proceed with caution if that's not your thing, but I personally really, really enjoyed this fic despite that fact (I can honestly say that of maybe five fics or so). The relationship between Mufasa and Scar as brothers here is incredibly deep and well-portrayed, and it offers an interesting view on what their story could have been like. Try it if you like.

From Behind Bars by ArizonaSivy. As well as every single other one of his fics. Seriously, drop everything and go read them. This guy doesn't speak English as a native language, but to be honest, he has one of the best uses of the English language of any foreign speaker I've ever seen. His plots are interesting and almost poetic at times, with their emotion and their sudden, striking plot twists. This particular one is his most popular and deals with Mufasa and Scar being captured and sent to a zoo together. The result is one part funny, one part interesting, and one part heart-wrenchingly emotional. So seriously. Go and read.

Scar, Taka, and Wazimu by IronicSnap. This author is simply a funny guy, as I've come to know over the last couple years, and that shows through in his writing. It's a pretty nonsensical, far-fetched story - as he says himself :P - but there is, as you can imagine, a surprising amount of crazy-good humor and enjoyment to be had in a surreal story that's pretty much, to simplify things a lot, about the incarnated time-traveling evil spirit from Scar's mind going crazy and trying to kill everyone.

The Lion King: The Freak by TLKFan. You've probably heard of this one. You know, the fanfiction that's longer than the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy and is currently the longest TLK fic posted on FFn. Needless to say, I haven't finished it, but so far it's probably one of the darkest, most in-depth stories I've ever read. Just suspend your disbelief and jump in - seriously, this fic is one heck of a ride.

A Murderer's Miracle by Lavender Springwood. This fic isn't over, and updates often come slow, but this fic is worth a read. I've been following it for a long while now. The prose feels a bit poetic at times, while at other points it comes off as relaxed and conversational. There's plenty of humor and good interactions between the characters. Worth a read.

Past Lives by MinxtheGrinningVixen. This one has short, sweet chapters, so there may not seem to be a lot quantity-wise. However, this surprising little fic makes up for it with the conciseness of its interesting content, which focuses on Zira's life. It's not yet finished, and I'm not entirely sure how it will pan out, but I've really enjoyed it so far. Worth a read.

Ag Borradh by Sir-Anathema. I'm not entirely sure what 'Ag Borradh' means. Personally, I think it sounds Irish, which may explain this fic in some ways. A lot of it reads like an old epic poem, with extremely sophisticated diction including plenty of words I've never heard of (which, coming from me, means quite a bit :lol:). It all feels very elevated and flowery, and though not enough has been written for me to know how the plot will ultimately go, this Scar-redemption fic seems to be going the path of a good old political story.

The Path Less Traveled by Thirsty19. This one is only a little over a month old, and its author came out of nowhere. But this story, which focuses on Kopa and the rest of Simba's family after the first movie, does a great job of describing events and pinpointing the subtle nuances of a character's motivations, emotions, and relationships via their dialogue with other characters, as well as through some good prose. Worth a read.

Through the Eyes of a Scarred Soul by Lord of Beef Dip. This one's an interesting read I've been following for quite some time. It's an intriguing idea, and I think he's done a good job with it up to now. I'm interested to see how it will pan out, as he's done a great job at masking/revealing information so far.

Geez. I have a lot. I could go on for longer, probably, but browsing through my faves list on FFn, I think those are the ones most worthy of mention that haven't already been talked about here. Oh, except I have to say before I leave... if you see any stories by ArizonaSivy, IronicSnap, Kovukono, Lavender Springwood, NinaRoja, TheBlackCatCrossing, TLKFan, or x-The Devil's-Advocate-x, just assume they're good and read them. I'd post all their good stories here, but then this post would never end. :nomnom:
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

Postby Carl » June 24th, 2014, 3:25 pm

Unfortunately, the fics I linked here have been removed. I will try to find some more really good ones to link to make up for it. In fact, I actually have some in mind already.

Here is a link to KoLioness's (formerly Koai) fics (comic-form) on dA, Tales from the Spirit Lands. She has four completed (long!) comics, Escape to Pride Rock, Run or Learn, Mark of a Prisoner, and My Pride Sister. She has also begun a fifth, The Haunted Wing, and based on the quality of the first four, I can assure you it will be worth a read. Some of the stories are based on Bad Girls, and so aren't 100% original, but they are all very well developed, very emotional, and probably totally new to most non-UK fans. They are not in chronological order, but it is supposed to be that way. These are very dark, but it seems most of the good ones are. She also has comic extras as well as art relating to the stories.

I've quite enjoyed these and following them for a while. They are very interesting and updates are more regular than other comics/fics. I don't know how she does it, but it's wonderful. As there is supposed to be a bit of a description of the works, I'll explain vaguely.

Escape to Pride Rock is about a prisoner named Kat in a prison--that's right, folks, a TLK prison. If I remember correctly, there are few canons in this comic, but they will appear later on, and there is stuff in here that is relevant to them.

Run or Learn is predominantly during Scar's reign and comes immediately after Escape to Pride Rock chronologically as well as in reading order. It includes semi-canons, canons, and the OCs from the previous fic.

Mark of a Prisoner details Zira's descent into insanity as she searches for information regarding what fate befell her mother with whom she was separated during youth. She seeks out answers in the very same prison Kat used to be in.

My Pride Sister is a prequel to Escape to Pride Rock. It explains how Kat ended up in prison in the first place.

Okay, I think I'm done rambling about these for now. Just go read them if you haven't.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » August 1st, 2014, 6:56 am

Anything by Gemini Gemelo. Seriously. She is a brilliant writer and for someone so young, I can't help but to bow down. The well thought out storylines and the prose is effective and just right.

Another one I recommend is Christine Morgan. I think every Lion King fan has heard of her stories, particularly 'A Matter of Pride'. It IS Rated M material, so be warned. It was originally written in 1995. I loved how she incorporated realistic lion elements in her story. She wrote a sequel called 'Firepelt'. It is also rated M. Be warned.
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Postby FloatingGrapefruit » September 4th, 2014, 2:08 am

I found this thread about two weeks ago. Since then I have managed to read mostly all of these plus Chronicles of the Pride Lands (my suggestion if you haven't already read it) and they were all absolutely fantastic. I have a life, I promise. Anyway, does anyone have any more suggestions? It is pretty hard to find good ones by yourself as fanfiction.net has no way of filtering by favorites or reviews or anything.
FloatingGrapefruit

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Postby Gemini » September 5th, 2014, 5:21 am

^ Actually, there is an option to sort by those things. It's been up since around summer 2012, when they made fave/follows publicly visible. Just click on the filters button and the very first tab in the top right corner allows you to filter by update/publish date, reviews, faves, or follows. I would recommend doing that as that's the best way to find the more popular/reputable stories on the site.

Hope that helps. :3
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't look back

Postby FloatingGrapefruit » September 6th, 2014, 8:17 pm

[quote="GeminiGemelo"]^ Actually, there is an option to sort by those things. It's been up since around summer 2012, when they made fave/follows publicly visible. Just click on the filters button and the very first tab in the top right corner allows you to filter by update/publish date, reviews, faves, or follows. I would recommend doing that as that's the best way to find the more popular/reputable stories on the site.

Hope that helps. :3[/quote]

Wow. That helps a ton. My problem was that I was searching for "Lion King" instead of just going to the page for the movie. When I was searching, the filter button did not appear and I could only "narrow results" by certain things. I love your stories by the way.

Thanks again.
FloatingGrapefruit

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Postby Gemini » September 7th, 2014, 4:20 am

^ Ah yeah, that would definitely mess your results up a bit. lol

But of course, I'm glad that helped. :) And thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed them. ;)
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Don't look back

Previous

Return to Fan Fictions