Gem's Art Wall

Re: I was bored, so this is what I drew...

Postby Gemini » August 3rd, 2016, 7:17 am

^ Toucheeeeeee.

Anyway, just wanted to say that we have still been working on this quite a bit, even though it's been nearly four (!!) months since I last posted anything about it. In that time, though, there have been some major changes regarding the nature of this project.

For one, it's no longer going to be a video game.

There were several reasons for this change, but to start off I simply don't know enough about actually coding games to be able to do much and I was mostly going to be relying on Jack to provide that part of the work. While I know that he is definitely skilled and was probably capable of handling it, once we broke up and he mostly stopped talking to me it seemed pretty unfeasible to stake the rest of the project's survival in that, especially after bun-nana and I worked so hard on it. And there's simply no way that I could learn enough about coding in a timely manner to be able to implement a project of this ambition.

Ultimately, the two of us decided that it would likely be easier, and more along the lines of our respective areas of expertise, to transform it into a webcomic. I think we work better as artists and writers than as programmers anyway, and honestly the whole time since this project has been revived we've mostly been focusing on characters and story and plot as it is. Gameplay was always kind of an afterthought since, again, that's not really something we are used to dealing with. Instead of using art, writing, characters and comics as concepts to promote a separate creation, we're simply gonna cut it down and make it into something that will hopefully be a part of the finished product - a finished product that will hopefully be of a higher quality than before.

So... yeah, now it's a webcomic.

I'm gonna be handling most of the writing, story and dialogue, with some input from bun-nana. She's gonna be doing most of the rough sketches and final character designs. I'll likely be doing inking as well at some point.

We're also changing where we are posting since the group dA has older art and just... yeah, I dunno. A lot of the old art really needs to be removed and dA just seems like a waste of time at this point since it's much easier to get followers and attention on other sites. But you can follow us at any of these places for the time being.

bun-nana's personal Tumblr - will probably have WoF-related stuff posted since she does the art, as well as updates on how it's coming along. Maybe doodles and sketches, I dunno.
bun-nana's account on PaigeeWorld - we just recently found this site and she already has a few hundred followers, so we are thinking of adding some of the comic pages there when we are done.
war-of-flowers Tumblr - honestly it hasn't been updated in a while and the art is out of date, but y'know... it exists. We might end up using it.

I also have my own personal accounts but my art isn't nearly as good and I don't trust myself to make any official art for this project so it's probably not worth it to follow unless for some reason I decided to post written scraps

As for the actual pages, most of the hosting will likely be done on Tapastic since we will get paid based on how many views we get (site runs on ad revenue). When we will get an account there is TBD and dependent on when we have a comfortable queue lined up.

Also, as I said, we do have the group dA still... but I'm really uncertain as to what role dA will play in promoting our art, if any. To be honest, I'm really, really jaded of that site at this point - it's just too much time and money spent trying to get noticed to justify putting any effort in, especially when we can get plenty of exposure elsewhere with far less of a struggle. It just doesn't seem worth it to me, and I'm fairly certain bun-nana agrees.

I'm still going to be leaving it up but we don't have any significant plans to use it so don't expect any major updates there for a long time, if ever. Sorry if that's an inconvenience to anyone.

We will likely be recruiting beta readers for this project at some point. Though the finished comic is going to be aimed at the 18-25 demographic, you don't have to be that age or have any particular background to be a beta as long as you're older than 16 or so.

(This definitely isn't meant for kids and there's likely going to be some graphic content so that's why we have that restriction, sorry).

Lastly, just as proof I'm not lying about the fact that we have work done - new artwork! Yay!

Art Box: show
This is just a small sample but hopefully will give you some ideas of the changes we've been making.

For one, basically all of our main cast is finished, though some designs have gotten changes in terms of name, appearance, ethnicity... and even gender, in one case. This being said, though, we are approaching a finished product for all characters - including in terms of personality and backstory.

All but one of the main characters are included in this picture as rough outlines. Finished designs, mostly in terms of clothes, are being made, but it's unlikely that there will be any more large changes unless such is demanded.

Since the last update, though, Nina and Caiya have gotten tweaked a bit. They now live in a mountain village and Nina has been given a different look, as well. We expanded upon the red poncho shown in the previous picture.

What we eventually ended up settling on was her design included in our final ref sheet (WIP):

More characters will be added to this in the future but for now we have, from top to bottom and left to right: Nina, Ukko, Kalil, Yago, Rani, Fen, and Caiya. Coloring style will likely be similar to the following picture.

Lastly, bun-nana decided to make a more realistic version of Ukko. I'm not really sharing for any particular reason, aside from that I think it looks nice.

I love Ukko he's basically my new boyfriend just saying

Of course, I also have worked quite a bit on story and dialogue and such, too, but you'll just have to take my word for it for right now. I don't want to give anything more away.

:)

Farewell!

~wof team
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

Postby Carl » August 3rd, 2016, 7:33 am

I was wondering about this project. Glad to see it's still getting worked on. Everything is looking really good! Can't wait to see more. :)

Feel free to murder me with the blight for being to generic, if you like. :P
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby kawaiineko-chan » August 3rd, 2016, 7:43 am

This bun-nana if u dodn't notice?? And I just wanted to say that this is not sponsored or anything but honestly I go t photoship and my drawings started going 10000%!! Mind you, my art was already like 9999.9999% but look what that last .00001% really did a lot for me. Plese support ther webcomic because i want to be a professional mangaak and I think this will make me one.
kawaiineko-chan
★ memes n' dreams ★

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nickname(s): Japanese Memelord, Kawaiineko-chan, coolgrl365
Pride Points: 21

Postby Gemini » August 3rd, 2016, 7:46 am

Your posts literally kill me, omf.

[quote="Carl Skywalker"]I was wondering about this project. Glad to see it's still getting worked on. Everything is looking really good! Can't wait to see more. :)

Feel free to murder me with the blight for being to generic, if you like. :P[/quote]

TOO GENERIC indeed! Now you have no choice but to face my terrible wrath. :evil:

//blight powers intensify

But no, really. That was a super quick response. Glad to see people are still interested and wondering, and thanks for the feedback. :)
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't look back

Postby Chavratheserval » August 3rd, 2016, 7:31 pm

No wait...your THE GEMINI?! ON DEVIANTART? :D I love your art and your comics. You draw them so good. I've read quite a few of them. I wasn't sure if you were the same person. And you are! Gemini30 right?! My goodness I'm glad I get to talk to you in person! As you can see, I already gave you a watch! Who wouldn't? I'm getting a little to excited...But it's not everyday you get to talk the artist and they'll answer back.To be watched by you is a dream come true! You do give me some inspiration. Is the webcomic why you couldn't finish the comic yet?
Hey there! :glad:
Nicest person you'll ever meet. :P

Love the Lion king! ;)

Check out my Deviantart page!http://sonicboom4560.deviantart.com/
Chavratheserval
NO WAY NO HOW I WON'T SAY I'M

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

my special BROWNIE in life

Nickname(s): Rere
Pride Points: 10

Postby Squeely » August 4th, 2016, 2:11 am

Looks solid. Excited to read it! And the art thus far is amazing!
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby kawaiineko-chan » August 6th, 2016, 8:59 am

Whois gemini30 and why are there 30 of her im confused can you exlpain?
kawaiineko-chan
★ memes n' dreams ★

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nickname(s): Japanese Memelord, Kawaiineko-chan, coolgrl365
Pride Points: 21

Postby Gemini » August 6th, 2016, 7:42 pm

[quote="Squeely"]Looks solid. Excited to read it! And the art thus far is amazing![/quote]

Thanks a ton, Squeels! :) I'm really excited for it too.

[quote="Chavratheserval"]No wait...your THE GEMINI?! ON DEVIANTART? :D I love your art and your comics. You draw them so good. I've read quite a few of them. I wasn't sure if you were the same person. And you are! Gemini30 right?! My goodness I'm glad I get to talk to you in person! As you can see, I already gave you a watch! Who wouldn't? I'm getting a little to excited...But it's not everyday you get to talk the artist and they'll answer back.To be watched by you is a dream come true! You do give me some inspiration. Is the webcomic why you couldn't finish the comic yet?[/quote]

I think you might be a little confused, here. My dA account is taurequine - I don't really have a lot of TLK related stuff on there (or much of anything, really). It's unlikely that most people know about me from dA, especially given that I am a writer moreso than I am an artist.

If you're into fanfiction then you may know me from fanfiction.net, where I have the same account name. Aside from that, though, most people know me just from here and not from other sites.
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Don't look back

Postby Gemini » October 3rd, 2016, 9:39 am

Alright, everyone! I'm back again with an update on this, just so you know that we didn't drop off the face of the earth. We are moving along. Rest assured, this project is definitely gonna get done at some point - we've worked far too long and hard on it to give up now. :)

That being said, though, I am currently in the process of working a job/volunteering/being a full-time student/getting onto the equestrian team as well as a bunch of other stuff while bun-nana works on packing up and getting ready to move into an apartment in Canada... so sometimes progress is a bit haphazard and unsteady. That's just kinda how it goes, unfortunately. I am beginning to draft the final outline to the plot so that we can get a very clear idea of the story we want to tell. I've also been working more on world-building and fleshing out locations/backstories/histories of places. We want to have all of this done and pretty solid before we work on drawing up pages or anything like that, so again... patience is key here. We don't want to rush anything and pay for it later, if that makes sense.

Of course, as usual, I don't want to give anything specific away in terms of the plot or characters or situations, so most of what I am actually doing will remain behind the scenes. However, there is plenty of art from bun-nana that should be of interest, which I will share here!

Art Box 2: show
I love posting art here! Again, as a kind reminder: if you ever want to stay even more up to date and see more like this, be sure to follow bun-nana's personal Tumblr since she updates it fairly often (mostly with WoF-related sketches and things). That will be your best bet as to how this is actually coming along.

Lately though we've been fleshing out the plot, including some important sub-arcs and backstory for many of our characters (all of which will hopefully add something). This has the added benefit of - you guessed it - several new designs being made. Most of these are fairly minor characters but I'd like to think that they still have some personality. These designs down here are a few of my favorites, though there are several others that will come into the story.

Oh, and I apologize in advance for the obnoxious watermarks. It's not that I don't trust you guys or anything, it's just that it's not my art, so... yeah.

These guys are all soldiers from Saimaa, Ukko's hometown. As I said, there's a few more, but these are my favorites. Lately we've been kind of exploring the history around that area (since it's an important place in the story) as well as Ukko's relationship with it. We thought that his past would be worth delving into.

We also worked on his sister some more.

It's still a WIP, but we tried to capture something of their personalities together. She's generally a pretty kind and cheerful character.

We also finalized a color scheme for Ukko and Caiya, mostly in terms of clothing. I don't expect any major changes from this.

(Excuse the sketchiness - it's also a WIP).

And a bit farther along:

Lastly, though certainly not leastly - bun-nana is working on a pretty big piece. Honestly, in terms of canvas size... it's huge. We are thinking of selling it as a print, perhaps, at some point. At the very least, it will likely serve as our cover for the story.

This is low-res and also super WIP-py, but again: here's a bit farther along, just so you all can see the expected quality of the final product.

Also, just as a reminder - if you want to be a beta-reader, we will likely be looking for interested candidates sometime in the near future. Basically you will read our story one chapter at a time, for as many chapters as you like/are interested in reading, and then provide some feedback via a Google Form (which we've actually already created, so kudos to us). That should kind of give you a head start in terms of getting to read the actual content of the comic, and your valuable feedback might even be used to influence different parts of the story... so hopefully that will be of some incentive.

Until next time, though - peace, bros! Thanks for following. :)

~wof team
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Don't look back

Postby Gemini » January 4th, 2017, 9:32 am

Welp, I know that this project has had a few false starts and such, and it's been a while since I've updated, but we are still cooking along on it. I decided that I would post today given that it has been exactly a year since we revived it... and in that year, a lot has changed.

So, to mark the occasion - our entire set of characters, 38 in all at this point. Our main cast is basically done and we have a good idea of who our supporting characters will be now.

The art is rough but is currently being polished. In any case, these are finalized designs.

On this day last year, our webcomic was intended as a video game and had only a few scrapped backgrounds as well as about six characters (at least three of which were only names and basic designs, and another of which was changed completely in terms of appearance, background and personality). Furthermore a lot of the plot ideas were tenuous, at best.

Now we have an entire set of characters that are pretty fleshed out, a clearer idea of what's going to happen in the story, and a solid foundation to grow and push this even farther. All in all - I'd say not bad for a team of two who are also busy with school and jobs and such. :) We've accomplished a lot, despite everything that's gone on, and I'm pretty proud of myself for that.

Enjoy,

~wof-team
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Don't look back

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Creativity