It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Re: It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Postby Elton John » October 31st, 2018, 9:39 am

I think its a bit odd that no other site has picked up this rumor. Even ones with little credibility can smell the poo from a mile away.

This is a ‘my uncle works at Nintendo’ level of fake rumor.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Panpardus » November 1st, 2018, 10:28 am

[quote="Elton John"]I think its a bit odd that no other site has picked up this rumor.[/quote]

Agreed, especially since this leaked back in March. I'm not taking it for a fact; that said, the only real reason I'm not dismissing it offhand -- or at least the main reason, anyway -- is because this site has leaked other Disney things (mostly formally unannounced aspects of MCU projects) that have turned out to be true, and its less declarative nature about the potential change gives it a slightly greater air of legitimacy to me. In my opinion, articles that sound really sure of themselves tend to be the more obviously fake ones, but here they pointed out that the final decision hadn't been made at that point and stressed that it was just an option Disney was considering that may very well not come to fruition.

While we're on Scar -- and a supporting reason for my thinking the redesign consideration might be legit -- I found a different article that speculated on the potential implications of the character being played by Chiwetel Ejiofor: https://www.obsev.com/entertainment/chi ... -evil.html What they're basically saying is that Ejiofor has played a number of villainous roles onscreen, but most of them aren't cackling madmen even when they could be; rather, his antagonists tend to be on the more soft-spoken cerebral side, usually with some measure of a tragic or sympathetic backstory that motivates their misdeeds. The article posits that if Favreau and Disney made a deliberate choice to cast Ejiofor as Scar, then it might be indication that they'll make him less of a force-of-nature type of evil, "suggest[ing] that The Lion King (2019) might be a little more nuanced and morally complicated than the one-note Divine Right story of The Lion King (1994)."

This potential re-characterization of Scar lines up with the fact that "Be Prepared" doesn't seem to be one of the songs they'll be bringing back as a proper musical number, and I think that his potential redesign as a white lion might also play into this characterization. Perhaps he has a bit of an ego complex, seeing himself as divine due to his coloration (a nod to the fact that real white lions are seen as sacred in some traditional South African cultures) and his denial of the throne only exacerbates his jealousy towards Mufasa and Simba. I don't know, I'm just hypothesizing.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Elton John » November 1st, 2018, 11:58 am

In the original Scar was a more cerebral less brute force villain than characters like Gaston or even Jafar.

He only got his paws dirty when he absolutely had to, otherwise he usually coerced others to do his dirty work for him.

He had a silver tongue. Hoping the remake keeps that aspect of him without making too many changes to the character.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Panpardus » November 1st, 2018, 12:59 pm

I'm thinking they'll keep the silver tongued aspect, they just won't have him be the oh-so-obvious, "how could the characters miss this!?" villain that he is in the original. Scar's a great villain, but I've always seen him a bit of a 2D character because he just exists in the film as this avatar of evil and we're never really given a reason for it aside from vague allusions to him simply being the jealous type rather than having some sort of legitimate grievance. Given the recent kick Disney's been having with MCU villains with decently fleshed-out motivations, I think elaborating on some of those aspects of Scar's motivations would make him more compelling as both a character and villainous figure.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Panpardus » November 11th, 2018, 9:09 am

Another behind-the-scenes news story from March that flew under the radar until recently, but apparently Chance the Rapper and Pharrell Williams (who you might remember was Seth Rogan's vocal coach for this) might be involved on the soundtrack as well in some capacity. There's a photo from Chance's Twitter account of them sitting with John Favreau and Hans Zimmer.

https://www.pedestrian.tv/entertainment ... ns-zimmer/
Panpardus

Postby Elton John » November 12th, 2018, 4:58 pm

nice find!

disney just dropped a toy story 4 teaser trailer this morning. TS4 is a month before tlk.

You know what that means right?
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby TheLionPrince » November 12th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Yeah, I have a feeling that the teaser will be attached to Mary Poppins Returns.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Panpardus » November 13th, 2018, 4:26 am

I'm actually hoping it comes out next week (Thanksgiving in the U.S.). It and the Avengers 4 trailer within days of each other would be great.
Panpardus

Postby Elton John » November 21st, 2018, 6:38 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant ... -date/amp/

how credible is screenrant? cuz i REALLY hope they are right...
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Panpardus » November 21st, 2018, 2:21 pm

I've seen people in other movie forums talking about seeing activity on Twitter that supports the trailer coming this week if not next. Whether it's a result of the ScreenRant article or not, I don't know, but it does fit the pattern I've been expecting for a while now. Also, Jeremy Conrad, a guy who's been making predictions and releasing leaks (mostly MCU related) and has generally been fairly credible on this stuff, just tweeted his disappointment that his earlier prediction of a major Disney trailer release this week (he was expecting Avengers 4) will be The Lion King instead, and subsequent things I've seen claim it'll be airing/releasing tomorrow evening between 8-11 p.m.
Panpardus

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King (2019)