It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Re: It's official, there's gonna be a tlk remake.

Postby Gaze » July 11th, 2019, 4:56 am

oof, the Hakuna Matata clip that was just released is extremely disappointing to me :oops:
this comparison clip really says it all: https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/ ... 22497?s=21
of course I’m not expecting the remake to be a copy of the original, but this really makes it seem like All the life has been sucked out. no emotion/expression, no color, no engaging choreography? at least the new version of Hakuna Matata sounds good...

[quote="Iberian"]Found this clip on Leahalalela (credit goes to Kossu).
Think would be nice to share it with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lrtMCn5Yo0[/quote]
however.... I just watched this and got some goosebumps. I loved Nala in this. I think the more serious and somber parts of the remake will probably be really effective, and of course the music will be amazing all around.

I’m just really excited to stop speculating and actually be able to see the movie! I have a feeling the trailers aren’t giving me enough information and I won’t truly have any idea how I feel about it until I’m immersed in the full film. can’t wait...
Gaze
TLK collector

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and bad poster

Pride Points: 26

Postby JackStover » July 11th, 2019, 6:42 pm

The reviews aren't kind so far. But the complaints that they're making are ones we knew about for a long time, like the lack of emotional expression.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_li ... 19/reviews
JackStover

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 17

Postby Azdgari » July 11th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Gah. Really worried about:

a) color saturation needs to be 3x higher [/zoolander]. Tan as a color pallet for an entire movie is just visually boring.

b) Animals in real life just can't emote. Even stretching it with CGI, it's basically a giant Captain Holt situation.

Unfortunately, all the critics seem to be saying the same thing. But I guess I'll get to decide for myself.
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby Gaze » July 12th, 2019, 4:10 am

the reviews coming out have me disappointed and significantly less excited about seeing the movie, cuz it sounds like my hopes for the remake have been dashed and my concerns about it are justified. if it’s true that the plot hasn’t really been expanded upon at all and characters like Nala and Sarabi are criminally underutilized, that feels like such a missed opportunity to me. I’ve always felt like TLK had so much potential for increased worldbuilding, more character development/background stories, deeper exploration of certain themes, etc etc... and this remake seems like one of the last chances for some of those ideas to be explored outside the realm of fanfiction and within a canon context.

thinking optimistically, though - it’s possible there are subtle differences in the film that would be essentially unnoticeable to the average film critic, but will be very meaningful to super-fans like us. we’ll find out soon....
Gaze
TLK collector

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and bad poster

Pride Points: 26

Postby Iberian » July 12th, 2019, 1:39 pm

The soundtrack is out! :D Even though i´m a sucker for soundtracks I think ill pass this one untill I see the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tU-g9OHluU
Iberian

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

Postby Panpardus » July 12th, 2019, 7:10 pm

[quote="Iberian"]The soundtrack is out! :D Even though i´m a sucker for soundtracks I think ill pass this one untill I see the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tU-g9OHluU[/quote]

I'm definitely leaving alone the songs I haven't heard in any of the promo stuff, so "Be Prepared" is not getting touched at all; I'm perfectly fine with leaving "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" and "Just Can't Wait to Be King" alone as well. I actually listened to "Spirit" (Beyoncé's/Nala's new song) once a couple days ago when it was first released and I remember thinking it wasn't bad, but I didn't have my proper listening equipment so I didn't catch the full breadth of the music. It's also kinda vague lyrically, so I'm still not sure how it actually fits into the story. I might just save that one for the movie.

I had to hear how "Circle of Life" sounds, so I broke and just listened to it.
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately they played it safe with the arrangement; it's identical to the original in terms of form, the only thing that's different is the instrumentation and the singer for the English lyrics. (One of the long-time actresses for the Broadway Rafiki, Lindiwe Mkhize, sings this time. She's good.) There's a lot more percussion and the bass "slaps" (to borrow a current popular term among the black interwebs) hard too, but there's also some new instrumental ornaments in the background that makes it feel a little different from the original if you're attentive to that sort of thing; the average person probably won't notice though.

"Hakuna Matata" I also don't mind having spoiled, especially since I already saw the clip and it sounds nice. (Although Seth Rogen/Pumbaa tries to hit a lower harmony at one point and I can hear he's a bit off; fortunately he's masked by the music so it's not too apparent. As for the musical number itself, it's as I expected/feared. The lions actually look good when they talk, facial expressions and all -- there's a bit with Scar and Simba in the gorge, although the voiceover is slightly ahead of the animation which is actually standard practice for pre-release material for a lot of movies some reason, probably copyright-related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnM8aTBbx0c -- but it doesn't work insofar as singing is concerned, especially when you have someone like Donald Glover who does lots of vocal riffs and they didn't really animate Simba's mouth to follow it convincingly. I'm not sure why they decided to do close-up long-takes on his face during that section; even during the wide shot there's nothing else going on in the scene, which makes it less engaging than some of the more mediocre The Lion Guard musical numbers. "Just Can't Wait to Be King" looks a lot more interesting though from the promotional bits and I've heard that that one is actually the standout musical number from this movie, so we'll see.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Captain Cupcake » July 12th, 2019, 10:16 pm

It's unfortunate that the official release doesn't have a lot of cues from the score. Beauty and the Beast's remake had a deluxe edition with an extra disc dedicated to most of its score, so I was hoping TLK would get the same treatment. Hopefully a more packed release will be unveiled and follow afterwards.

From what we do get, it's nice to hear that Zimmer didn't "Zimmerize" it with his more modern sound palette and go full-on ambience with a number of less action-packed pieces. It skews close to the original in style.

Spoiler: show
Something about switching out those softer renditions of Simba and Mufasa's leitmotifs at the beginning of what was "Kings of the Past" in the original score (now "Simba's Alive" in this version) for more usage of the reoccurring Death theme is amusingly savage. Assuming that section is still accompanying the moment where Timon and Pumbaa laugh over Simba's explanation for the stars, it's essentially twisting the knife and hammering in Simba's guilt. The twisted arrangement of Mufasa's theme for when Scar takes over as King, as well making use of the Stampede's motif throughout the final battle music are pretty cool highlights of this revision.

A little disappointed that we don't get to hear much of the Busa leitmotif beyond the climax (just as it was used in the original). I think there was a hint or two in one of the earliest tracks as well. Its softer Lala variant heard in Simba and Nala scenes in the original doesn't appear either. In fact, a good chunk of what would accompany their talk in the oasis up to presumably when Rafiki shows up to help Simba seems to be absent in this release. I don't doubt that the film itself has SOME reworking of the first half of what was originally "Remember Who You Are" accompanying those scenes, since I can't imagine the film would leave all those bits silent, but all we have here on the album is a retooling of the second half of it (for when Rafiki tells Simba to follow him, seeing Mufasa in the clouds, and all that jazz.

Really, really hoping for an expanded release in the near future, since Zimmer did a pretty good job. "The Stampede" really doubled down on the suspense and has a rather heroic incorporation of Mufasa's theme.
Last edited by Captain Cupcake on July 12th, 2019, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby gothprincesskiara » July 12th, 2019, 10:40 pm

Once again, Im going to say this to those people who keep complaining about the facial expression and lack off color, this is RAW NATURE!, what did you expect? , Live action means real life like, not animated, those days are over. Honestly Im stating to think that some care only about the animated film and not about real life lions in general, or have not seen enough wildlife documentaries. If you only care about an animated film and not want to learn more about its culture and nature, thats just sad.
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby Elton John » July 12th, 2019, 10:47 pm

The reviews havent deterred my excitement, I had a feeling a year or two ago that this movie would not be a critical darling.

I’ll make my own judgements when i see it next thursday.

And yeah I hope they eventually release the full musical score.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Iberian » July 12th, 2019, 11:05 pm

[quote="Elton John"]The reviews havent deterred my excitement, I had a feeling a year or two ago that this movie would not be a critical darling.

I’ll make my own judgements when i see it next thursday.

And yeah I hope they eventually release the full musical score.[/quote]

Oh yeah... They will... The only issue I have is the "remastering" they tend to do on scores, so I usually resort to bootlegs which havent been tampered to sound as if your listening to music that´s playing underwater.
Very rarely studios release the score used in the movie. For example Legacy´s "remember who you are" (07:48) is the first time we could hear "officially" this entire part of the score, other releases of the soundtrack, 1994´s Original motion picture soundtrack only comprehended "under the stars" with 03:45.
I really hope they release as bonus tracks (maybe on a premium pack) some missing storyboard songs, like "Can you feel the love tonight" or "To be king"... :)
Iberian

Pride Points: 14

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King (2019)